Suffolk: Archbishop of Canterbury at St Edmundsbury Cathedral as diocese celebrates centenary
- Credit: PA
Hundreds of people attended a cathedral service as the Archbishop of Canterbury officially launched the St Edmundsbury and Ipswich Diocese’s centenary celebrations.
More than 700 guests attended the midday Eucharist service with the Archbishop of Canterbury, The Most Reverend Justin Welby, at the cathedral in Bury St Edmunds, on Saturday, to set the mood for a year of celebrations.
Each parish and church school is being given a special Centenary candle too with the Archbishop’s blessing.
Candles are being distributed for each parish and a letter of goodwill is being read out in churches across the county on Sunday morning.
Ahead of the service, Archbishop Justin said: “It will be a great joy and privilege to visit the diocese at the start of its centenary year in pilgrimage and prayer. I am very much looking forward to meeting those who serve the Church so faithfully in Suffolk, and hearing about the immensely exciting plans for mission and growth.
“We give thanks for all that God has done in the Diocese of St Edmundsbury and Ipswich over the last 100 years, and pray expectantly that it will continue to grow and flourish.”
Bishop David Thomson, Acting Bishop of the St Edmundsbury and Ipswich Diocese, added: “This is a great gathering of people from right across Suffolk, coming together to celebrate our heritage of faith, and launch a legacy for the future.”
- 1 85 school children under 4 suspended in Suffolk
- 2 Firefighters tackling fire near popular Suffolk hotel and spa
- 3 'Ipswich will be my club for the rest of my days' - Chambers on Town return
- 4 Two arrests as man suffers serious injuries in pub brawl in seaside village
- 5 Popular family-run butchers announces closure
- 6 'Incredible' firefighters spend nearly 12 hours tackling forest blaze
- 7 Sir Cliff Richard sends best wishes to Summer Holiday cast
- 8 North Stander: The early signs are very positive for Town
- 9 Range Rover stolen from home in east Suffolk
- 10 Thousands head to Helmingham car show
Last night, Archbishop Justin joined the Town Pastors in Ipswich who help vulnerable people in the town on Friday and Saturday nights.