‘Get back, get back’ - Armed police attend Ipswich flat

Armed police at an incident in Ipswich. Picture: STACEY HUGHES

Armed police at an incident in Ipswich. Picture: STACEY HUGHES - Credit: Archant

Armed police swarmed on an Ipswich flat tonight – with witnesses describing the tense moment they saw officers with guns descend on a town centre street.

Onlookers in St Helen’s Street said around nine police cars raced to a building opposite the former East Suffolk County Hall at around 5.40pm.

Police said it was part of an operation involving two other properties in the town, following reports that a man had received threats to him and his family.

Video taken in St Helen’s Street shows officers knocking on the door and telling people to “get back”.

Witnesses described a tense stand-off at the scene.

You may also want to watch:

“There was a guy banging on the door shouting ‘get out, get out’,” said Ipswich resident Stacey Hughes who saw the action from outside the County of Suffolk pub.

“Then a guy came to the window and police said ‘show your hands’, then ‘come down to the door’.

Most Read

“It was dealt with very quickly.”

Another pub-goer said they thought the police were going to fire at the property – though no shots were heard.

One witness, who did not want to be named, saw the drama unfold as she walked back from work.

She said there were multiple police cars parked up near the county hall building.

Describing the scene as “hectic”, she added that police officers appeared to have helmets on and seemed to be focusing on one particular building.

People on social media reported hearing lots of sirens in the area and seeing a heavy police presence.

Suffolk police confirmed armed officers had been called to the incident.

A police spokesman said: “[Today] at 5.40pm police received call from a man who reported that he had received threats to him and his family.

“Officers at attended three properties in Ipswich to make enquiries.

“Following attendance at these locations nothing was found to be untoward and officers resumed routine patrol duties.”

No further details about the incident were available at the time of going to press.

Visit our website for the latest updates.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter