‘Get back, get back’ - Armed police attend Ipswich flat
- Credit: Archant
Armed police swarmed on an Ipswich flat tonight – with witnesses describing the tense moment they saw officers with guns descend on a town centre street.
Onlookers in St Helen’s Street said around nine police cars raced to a building opposite the former East Suffolk County Hall at around 5.40pm.
Police said it was part of an operation involving two other properties in the town, following reports that a man had received threats to him and his family.
Video taken in St Helen’s Street shows officers knocking on the door and telling people to “get back”.
Witnesses described a tense stand-off at the scene.
You may also want to watch:
“There was a guy banging on the door shouting ‘get out, get out’,” said Ipswich resident Stacey Hughes who saw the action from outside the County of Suffolk pub.
“Then a guy came to the window and police said ‘show your hands’, then ‘come down to the door’.
- 1 Family of hairdresser, 17, who died in her sleep 'overwhelmed' by tributes
- 3 Suffolk families stunned after homes transformed on Changing Rooms
- 4 Channel 4's Changing Rooms comes to Bury St Edmunds tonight
- 5 'Complete waste of our money' - uproar over Santa's grotto
- 6 Donacien on his Ipswich Town future and why he wears the No.44 shirt
- 7 Villagers call to stop 'hazardous' 5-week road closure with huge diversions
- 8 Teen among two arrested in armed police incident
- 9 Goals, vision and chats with a legend - how Town's loan stars are doing
- 10 Man left with serious injuries after late-night attack in town centre
“It was dealt with very quickly.”
Another pub-goer said they thought the police were going to fire at the property – though no shots were heard.
One witness, who did not want to be named, saw the drama unfold as she walked back from work.
She said there were multiple police cars parked up near the county hall building.
Describing the scene as “hectic”, she added that police officers appeared to have helmets on and seemed to be focusing on one particular building.
People on social media reported hearing lots of sirens in the area and seeing a heavy police presence.
Suffolk police confirmed armed officers had been called to the incident.
A police spokesman said: “[Today] at 5.40pm police received call from a man who reported that he had received threats to him and his family.
“Officers at attended three properties in Ipswich to make enquiries.
“Following attendance at these locations nothing was found to be untoward and officers resumed routine patrol duties.”
No further details about the incident were available at the time of going to press.
Visit our website for the latest updates.