“It is a genuine privilege” – Suffolk artist to auction paintings signed by Premier League giants
- Credit: CHRIS COBBOLD
A former art teacher from Stowmarket is auctioning 10 unique paintings signed by some of the biggest names in English football.
Mother-of-two Louise Cobbold, 39, became an instant hit earlier this year when her painting of Wolverhampton Wanderers player, Rúben Neves, was shared on social media – inspiring an auction that raised a staggering £12,000 for charity.
Now, five months on from her first successful art sale, she has been handpicked by her husband’s favourite team to provide the cover artwork for this season’s matchday programmes – featuring footballing giants such as Pep Guardiola – which she will also be auctioning for a good cause.
Mrs Cobbold said she is likely to create “in the region of 40” signed paintings, considering they will feature a home and away player (or coach) for each of the 20 matchday covers.
The 10 created so far will be going on sale on Thursday, and bidding will run until 9pm on Sunday, October 28.
Inspired by Wolves’ goalkeeper, Carl Ikeme, who was diagnosed with acute leukaemia in July 2017 and is now in remission, Mrs Cobbold decided to auction her work for the charity Cure Leukaemia – which helps to bring pioneering drug and transplant treatments to blood cancer patients.
You may also want to watch:
The 10-day auction will also support the charities Good Shepherd Ministry Wolverhampton, Race Against Blood Cancer and YMCA Black Country.
Mrs Cobbold described the opportunity as a “genuine privilege”.
- 1 Air ambulance called as tree falls on partygoers
- 2 Matchday Live: No Edmundson or Chaplin as Evans returns for Town
- 3 Man jailed after dangerous dogs mauled sheep to death
- 4 Cook will be looking to complete the puzzle as Town host Millwall in dress rehearsal
- 5 Town Transfer Talk: Ten in, but how many more are on the way?
- 6 Lorry driver who died in B1085 crash named
- 7 Fallen tree partially blocks stretch of A12
- 8 Evans returns to Town side for Millwall clash
- 9 Army helicopter lands in field near Nacton after developing fault
- 10 Victoria Hall murder: Suffolk strangler Steve Wright reportedly arrested
“I have loved the challenge of trying to capture the expression and passion of the players; the fluidity of my watercolour splash style really seems to lend itself to sport in the way it can depict energy and movement as well as capture a particular moment in time,” she said.
“I am so grateful to Wolves for this incredible opportunity as well as to photographers like Sam Bagnall who allow me to use their fantastic images as a platform for my paintings; without them, none of this would be possible. I can’t wait to see how this first auction goes.”
The individuals featuring across 10 separate paintings in this auction are: Carl Ikeme, Conor Coady and Richarlison, Nuno Espírito Santo and Pep Guardiola, Willy Boly and Ashley Barnes, Leo Bonatini, Ryan Bennett and Danny Ings.
For more details, visit the auction site here or follow @SPLouiseCobbold on Twitter for updates.