Emergency road closure in place near bird flu site
- Credit: citizenside.com
Highways officers have closed a road to help with an investigation into confirmed cases of bird flu at a Suffolk farm.
The emergency closure is in place within a 1km restriction zone around a farm where a strain of "low pathogenic avian flu" was identified.
Southolt Road in Athelington is currently closed from Water Lane to Worlingworth Road and will remain shut until 5.30pm.
The closure will be back in place tomorrow, from 7.30am to 5.30pm, Suffolk Highways tweeted.
Officers from the Animal and Plant Health Agency and Suffolk Trading Standards are currently carrying out investigation work at the farm.
MORE: Everything we know about the Suffolk bird flu outbreakAccording to an official Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) document, a 1km restriction zone is in place around Homefield Farm in Athelington, near Eye.
You may also want to watch:
An H5 strain of low pathogenic avian flu was identified on a commercial farm site last night.
Public Health England (PHE) said the risk to public health is "very low".
- 1 'If offers are higher elsewhere, so be it' - Wigan CEO on losing Evans to Ipswich
- 2 Aldi targets Felixstowe, Saxmundham and Sudbury for new stores
- 3 Wanted man arrested in Stowupland village
- 4 Thunderstorms expected to continue until Saturday in Suffolk and Essex
- 5 Pair arrested for alleged sex assault on young woman
- 6 Chambers on a 'Town core setting standards' at Colchester
- 7 Why these Suffolk villages were named among 'most beautiful to visit'
- 8 Farmer's anger at 'utterly vile' dog owner who tied dog mess to gate lock
- 9 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 10 Pub near Stowmarket closes temporarily due to Covid-19 case