Bowls club volunteers recognised for community work
- Credit: Archant
Two inspiring volunteers from a Stowmarket bowls club have scooped awards for their hard work in the community.
Carol Pybus and Chris Brooks have been recognised for their efforts at Stowmarket Rookery Bowls Club, working with a host of groups in the town.
On Thursday, October 18, at two separate events, Mrs Pybus won Community Hero of the Year at the Stowmarket Town Council Stars Awards, while Mrs Pybus and Mr Brooks picked up the joint Volunteer of the Year - Mid Suffolk award at the Babergh and Mid Suffolk awards event.
The club visits three care homes and helps keep around 60 residents active each week, as well as working with several groups in Stowmarket, including the Dementia Action Alliance.
This summer, the club welcomed its first blind bowler, who now competes with sighted players and is entering the National Visually Impaired Bowls England Championship 2019 in Weston-Super-Mare.
The club has now launched a new ‘Happy Days Fun Club’ at its Finborough Road-base on Tuesdays and Fridays.
The sessions are open to people living with dementia, recovering from strokes or with disabilities.
- 1 'I thought he was going to Ipswich' - rival boss reveals Blues interest in right-back
- 2 Case of new Omicron Covid variant identified in Norfolk
- 3 25-year-old left eating disorder clinic prior to death on A14
- 4 New Ed Sheeran Christmas song with Elton John out this week
- 5 Will Suffolk have a white Christmas this year?
- 6 'Quirky and memorable' name for new café and visitor centre revealed
- 7 Norwood on target as Town Under 23's sting Hornets
- 8 Suffolk mass vaccination centre wants to jab 10,000 amid Omicron concern
- 9 New animal feed mill planned for Bury St Edmunds
- 10 55 projects identified in major plans to transform transport
Mrs Pybus said: “We are encouraging everybody, even those without any disability living at home, to come and join us for some fun, games, and activity and a cup of tea, biscuits and to meet new friends.”
Call Chris Brooks on 01359241046 or email email@example.com for more information.