Suffolk: Charity chiefs in county defend executive salaries, saying it is vital they get high quality staff to provide a good service
Charities in Suffolk have defended the salaries paid to executives – claiming it is vital they compete for high quality staff so they can provide the best possible service.
Officials in the county have spoken out after revelations that 30 national and international charity executives are enjoying six-figure salaries – despite a national fall in charitable donations.
In Suffolk, the chief executive of East Anglia’s Children’s Hospices, Graham Butland earns an annual salary of £80,000 which he has said is lower than the same position in a public or private sector organisation, but salaries for care staff are similar to those in the public sector.
He said: “Salaries for EACH care staff are in-line with NHS pay scales as we are in competition for staff and want to attract the best candidates.
“In comparison, salaries paid to the EACH chief executive and directors are significantly lower than what would be earned in equivalent positions in both the public and private sector.
You may also want to watch:
“Our commitment to delivering the best possible care and support to life-threatened children, young people and their families across East Anglia is shown in our expenditure – with 74% spent on direct care costs, education, training and research and the remaining 26% covering the cost of generating funds, retail and governance.
“We are a large organisation – providing care and support to 550 families across Cambridgeshire, North Essex, Norfolk and Suffolk and employing 250 staff. Salaries are set to reflect the skills, knowledge and experience of individuals.”
- 1 American marines fly to Suffolk to join Dambusters on new aircraft carrier
- 2 A possible Ipswich Town reunion at Colchester this summer
- 3 Woodbridge nurse plans Caribbean retirement after National Lottery win
- 4 A12 reopens after police respond to 'serious' accident
- 5 Two arrested after police block off street following threats
- 6 Town confirm early departure of experienced defender due to contract clause
- 7 Have your say on bid for new shopping village with cinema and hotel
- 8 How a popular Suffolk resort is gearing up for a bumper summer
- 10 WATCH as man calmly rips wooden gate off hinges before walking away
Figures revealed yesterday shows the number of executives at charities connected to the Disasters Emergency Committee receiving salaries of more than £100,000 had increased from 19 to 30 in the past three years.
A spokeswoman for Ormiston Children and Families Trust, whose chief executives salary band is listed between £70,001 and £80,000, said the pay does also reflect the work they do and the need for charities to employ high-quality staff.
She added: “The issues they are tackling are enormously complex and their work is invaluable to countless people all over the world.
“You need to make sure the people leading these organisations are the best in their field and although it shouldn’t be the case, it does sometimes mean that charities have to compete with salaries that are offered in the private sector.
“Last year Ormiston Children & Families Trust spent £5 million supporting children and families through difficult times in their lives. We spent 98 per cent of our money directly on our charitable activities and we gained 100 per cent satisfaction from our funders.”