Two men charged in Southwold people smuggling investigation
- Credit: Archant
Two Ukrainian men have been charged with immigration offences as part of an investigation into suspected people smuggling on the Suffolk coast.
The two men were arrested following an operation by Border Force officers at Southwold Harbour.
Both have been charged with facilitating a breach of UK immigration laws and are due to appear for a crown court hearing in Ipswich next month.
It follows a small boat people smuggling investigation which culminated on the shore of the seaside town at the end of last week.
A Border Force spokesman said: “Two men have been charged as part of an Immigration Enforcement investigation into a suspected small boat people smuggling incident in Southwold.”
Denys Khvatkov and Bohdan Lutskyi appeared before Norwich Magistrates’ Court on Monday, August 3.
Both men were charged with facilitating a breach of the UK’s immigration laws.
- 1 Will it be another lockdown Christmas?
- 2 The possible candidates as Ipswich Town search for new boss
- 3 The early betting favourites to be the next Town boss
- 4 Stuart Watson's verdict: Cook sacking shows Town owners mean business
- 5 'Would get Town promoted this season' - Ambrose reveals his choice for new boss
- 6 Approved town centre hotel will help meet need for tourist rooms
- 7 Flood alert issued for Suffolk and north Essex coast
- 8 Look inside: Stunning £3m home is most expensive on market in Suffolk
- 9 Ipswich Town set to announce caretaker manager
- 10 Harsh or fair? Here's what Town fans are saying about Paul Cook sacking
The Ukrainian nationals were remanded in custody to appear at Ipswich Crown Court on Tuesday, September 1.
Khvatkov, 19, and 29-year-old Lutskyi had been arrested on Friday, July 31 after a Border Force cutter had targeted a yacht as it sailed from the Netherlands towards the east coast of the UK.
When the sailing vessel moored at Southwold Harbour shortly after 9pm, Border Force officers boarded the yacht and found four people – Khvatkov, Lutskyi, and two Albanian nationals with no leave to enter the UK.
Following the arrests, the case was referred to the Home Office Immigration Enforcement department’s criminal and financial investigation team.
Minister for Immigration Compliance and the Courts, Chris Philp said: “We will not tolerate ruthless criminals looking to break the law by smuggling people into the UK illegally.
“Working together with partners at home and abroad, Border Force and Immigration Enforcement are determined to disrupt and dismantle organised immigration crime networks.
“Those who profit from the misery of others will be brought to justice.
Border Force officials said the Albanian nationals were being dealt with in line with immigration rules.