max temp: 10°C

min temp: 8°C


Dog walkers warned of Suffolk coast’s ongoing palm oil and shellfish poisoning risk

PUBLISHED: 12:53 19 March 2018 | UPDATED: 16:06 19 March 2018

Chris Poole's dog died after eating a crab on Felixstowe beach.  Picture: SARAH LUCY BROWN

Chris Poole's dog died after eating a crab on Felixstowe beach. Picture: SARAH LUCY BROWN

Dog walkers visiting the Suffolk coast are being reminded to take extra care following further reports of palm oil washing up on the shore and the ongoing poisoning risk from shellfish.

Suffolk Coastal and Waveney district councils issued the advice today after receiving more calls about palm oil along the coastline.

Palm oil is not poisonous but can cause illness if ingested in large amounts.

The councils also urged pet owners to take precautions against paralytic shellfish poisoning (PSP) - a naturally occurring toxin, which has caused several pet deaths in the region.

A spokesman added: “There is no risk to people or pets from the seawater - the only risk is from ingesting PSP-contaminated animals found on the beach.

“Dog walkers are advised to take precautions to prevent their pets from eating anything found on the beach.

“This may include keeping dogs under close control, on leads or muzzled if considered appropriate, while walking along the coast.”

Earlier this year, he Eastern Inshore Fisheries and Conservation Authority (IFCA) confirmed the dogs had been killed by PSP, including a Siberian husky which eating a shore crab at Felixstowe Ferry.

MORE: Dog deaths across Suffolk and Norfolk coastline confirmed as Paralytic Shellfish Poisoning

All visitors are urged to take care when walking below cliffs, following the recent bad weather which caused coastal erosion and a serous collapse in Norfolk.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the East Anglian Daily Times

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists