Shoppers still lining up to clear shelves despite government advice on stockpiling
- Credit: Archant
Shoppers are repeatedly ignoring government advice about stockpiling, with 6am queues at supermarkets across Suffolk today.
For the last week, shoppers have gone against Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s call for calm in food shops and lines of trolleys outside supermarkets in the early hours have become a common sight.
In our video you can see some shoppers disregarding social distancing advice, standing much closer than two metres from each other.
These scenes were recorded the day after the PM announced all pubs, club, cafes and other leisure businesses should close as soon as possible.
Despite regular assurances that there is no food shortage in the UK and restrictions on the number of items people can buy, shelves are being cleared by members of the public filling their cupboards.
You may also want to watch:
The behaviour has resulted in many supermarkets going further and dedicating time to older, vulnerable customers and emergency workers in the mornings in an attempt to make sure they get what they need.
Mr Johnson said he would be speaking to supermarket bosses about efforts to keep supplies flowing and how to overcome the panic buying that is gripping the UK.
- 1 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 2 Engineers repair water main which flooded A14 roundabout
- 3 Matchday Recap: Blues cruise to victory at Fratton Park
- 4 The Suffolk pub serving a gourmet Sunday lunch three days a week
- 5 Portsmouth 0-4 Ipswich Town: Blues deliver Cook's biggest win as boss
- 6 Framlingham taxi driver lives double life as Chateau Diaries star
- 7 Former Suffolk school leaders found guilty of professional misconduct
- 8 'Our most complete performance of the season' - Cook on 4-0 win at Portsmouth
- 9 Ipswich's Covid infection rate now the highest in England
- 10 Thunderstorm warning issued in Suffolk as heavy rain forecast
Shelves have been stripped of essential items, such as toilet rolls, hand sanitiser, paracetamol, meat, fruit and vegetables as shoppers ignore pleas not to stockpile.