'Very caring' electrician died of asbestos-related cancer
- Credit: Archant
An electrician who died of asbestos-related cancer spent a lifetime exposed to the health hazard, an inquest found.
Suffolk Coroners' Court heard on Thursday how Felixstowe's David Paul Bostock was exposed to asbestos at various points during his career.
The main testimony was a statement that Mr Bostock wrote in conjunction with his family's solicitor before his death from mesothelioma on November 17 2020 at St Elizabeth Hospice, Ipswich.
The 63-year-old explained that after he left school in Nottingham, he worked on various building sites in the 1960s and 1970s, as well as in factories.
He later moved to Suffolk with his wife, Joan Bostock, and recounted having to crawl through electrical cables and ducts in an incredibly "dusty environment".
However, in the letter to coroner Nigel Parsley, Mr Bostock said he was never warned about "the dangers of asbestos" or given a mask to protect himself.
Mr Parsley ruled that Mr Bostock's cancer death was due to an "industrial disease", namely his exposure to asbestos fibres from fitting electrical components.
- 1 Town's Harper move held up by West Brom uncertainty
- 2 Councils to be given powers to fine drivers £70
- 3 A12 underpass closed after car stuck in water
- 4 Village in uproar as primary school attempts to change historic logo
- 5 Suffolk school goes viral after teachers post TikTok dance
- 6 ‘Exceptional’ country estate with its own airfield hits the market
- 7 Woman in master/slave relationship was asked to supply indecent images
- 8 Citroën driver taken to hospital after car comes off road
- 9 A12 clear after two-car crash at Farnham
- 10 Historic Walberswick Bell Inn closes for one week
He put the second cause of death as hypertension and diabetes.
In a statement read at the inquest, Mrs Bostock and her son Andy said Mr Bostock was "very caring and kind".