Suffolk insists “We are listening” as it launches school transport debate
- Credit: Archant
As the public consultation into controversial plans to reform school transport goes live today, officials at Suffolk County Council insist that they are listening to the concerns of parents and teachers.
The county’s cabinet last week voted to go ahead with the consultation despite concerns from many people in rural parts of Suffolk that the changes could make it impossible for children to continue at their schools if transport is withdrawn.
It is looking to make the changes to save part of the £21m bill for school transport in the county
The two and half month consultation, which starts today, invites people to help the council shape the future of school travel policies.
But it says that, like many other councils across the country, it needs to consider making more significant changes.
You may also want to watch:
It is therefore consulting on changing its school travel policies so the service can be affordable, sustainable, and capable of meeting growing demand in the future.
The council says its current school travel policies go above legal requirements, which means around 2,400 children and receive free/subsided school travel that Suffolk County Council is not legally required to provide and that they wouldn’t get in many other parts of the country.
- 1 A12 reopens after serious collision
- 2 Our Ipswich Town predictions: Top scorer, best player, where they'll finish and more
- 3 Man dies in two-car crash on A12
- 4 Film crews begin shooting Amazon show in Suffolk village
- 5 'There won't be a better group of strikers in the league' - Jeffers on Town's firepower
- 6 Dog-friendly pub set to reopen in east Suffolk after major revamp
- 7 Family 'devastated' after elderly man's Reliant Robin tipped over
- 8 Covid-19 outbreak at hotel 'goes back to Latitude' - but guests not pinged
- 9 GP warns of 'Latitude effect' as cases rise among young people
- 10 Woman in 20s dies in single car crash on A12 in Suffolk
Council cabinet member for education Gordon Jones, said: “Today we’re making a very clear and genuine pledge to listen.
“This is only the beginning and I’m calling for unity. I’m saying ‘let’s use this consultation to look at all the issues, discuss them and find sensible solutions together.’ This is a very serious and challenging issue to tackle, which we must in order to be able to afford to run the service in the future.”
Penny Otton, Liberal Democrat, spokeswoman for education said: “I commend all of the headteachers, governors and parents who have already publicly spoken out against this harmful policy – and I sincerely hope that Suffolk County Council has been listening very carefully to their concerns.”
Labour opposition spokesman Jack Abbott said: “To be honest the county council has already united everyone on this issue. The parents and teachers are all united against it!”
The consultation will run until 28 February and there will be a full programme of events and opportunities for discussion.
Have your say on school transport
There are six public consultation events planned for different parts of the county during January.
16 January, 7pm-8.30pm
Kesgrave Conference Centre
Twelve Acre Approach,
17 January 7pm-8.30pm
Eye Community Centre
18 January 7-8.30pm
River Stour Trust Visitor Education Centre
22 January 7-8.30pm
Beccles Public Hall
23 January 7-8.30pm
26 January, five sessions between 2pm and 7.30pm
West Suffolk House,
Bury St Edmunds
Further details on the options for the future of school transport in Suffolk can be found here