Coronavirus: Deliveries by bike for those in isolation
- Credit: BURY ST EDMUNDS RICKSHAW
A bike that was used for ferrying passengers around Bury St Edmunds is now transporting essential goods to those in isolation during the coronavirus crisis.
Bury St Edmunds Rickshaw, a charity that started in 2018, is operating as a cargo bike taking food and medications to those who are unable to pick them up themselves.
Bury Rickshaw volunteers have also been using their own bikes to deliver small items like medication.
With the recent difficulties in getting supermarket delivery slots, trustee Libby Ranzetta said people were “worried about how to get their supplies”.
MORE: App and phoneline launched in Suffolk to help tackle coronavirus crisis impact“We are happy to deliver click and collect orders anywhere in town for self-isolators, free of charge thanks to our wonderful volunteers,” she said.
As well as offering to pick up click and collect supermarket orders, she said they could get pre-ordered shopping from town.
She added: “Some of the smaller shops, such as McColl’s on the Nowton estate, will take the shopping order over the phone and get it ready and we will deliver and that’s working quite well.”
Pharmacies have also been signposting people to Bury Rickshaw for help with getting their medications.
MORE: Why we’re asking for your support to build a sustainable future for the EADTLibby said by early afternoon today, April 2, the charity had already completed 27 deliveries - a record for one day.
- 1 Firefighters tackle large blaze near Suffolk recycling centre
- 2 Weather warning as thunderstorms expected to hit Suffolk after heatwave
- 3 Matchday Recap: How Town's 3-0 win against MK unfolded
- 4 Popular carnival's firework display cancelled
- 5 A14 near Ipswich remains partially closed after fire breaks out
- 6 Road closed as emergency services called to single-vehicle crash
- 7 How the Ipswich Town players performed in their victory over MK Dons
- 8 Man suffers head injuries after being 'seriously' assaulted by 'several' men
- 9 Drought declared in Suffolk as temperatures set to soar this weekend
- 10 'A really special effort' - McKenna's verdict on 3-0 win v MK Dons
To request a delivery, call Bury Rickshaw on 01284 339449.