Suffolk nightclub DJ cleared of sex assault
- Credit: ARCHANT
A Suffolk nightclub DJ who denied sexually assaulting a woman while she was asleep has been unanimously cleared by a jury.
A jury at Ipswich Crown Court took less than two hours to find Alexander Quantrell not guilt of sexually assaulting the woman, who lives in north Suffolk, in April last year.
Giving evidence during his trial 33-year-Old Quantrell, of Ipswich Road, Stowmarket, claimed he thought the alleged victim was awake when he touched her intimately and said he wouldn’t have touched her sexually if he had thought she was asleep.
The court has heard that the woman met Quantrell during an evening out with a friend at the Aquarium nightclub in Lowestoft.
Before going out that evening the alleged victim and her friend had “preloaded” by drinking a bottle of wine each and during their night out they consumed “something of a skinful,” said Hugh Vass, prosecuting.
You may also want to watch:
While at Aquarium the alleged victim fell asleep on a sofa next to Quantrell and was asked by door staff to leave the nightclub because of her state of intoxication.
The woman and her friend left the club with Quantrell and when the alleged victim’s friend went back inside to get her cardigan, Quantrell and the alleged victim had gone to his car to get out of the cold, said Mr Vass.
- 1 Suffolk enjoys warehousing boom as more businesses flock to region
- 2 A12 fully reopened after serious crash
- 3 Container ship that blocked Suez Canal due to arrive in Felixstowe
- 4 Woman in 20s dies in single car crash on A12 in Suffolk
- 5 Man left with cuts to his head after being bottled following fight in Suffolk town
- 6 Obsessed man thought barmaid was in love with him
- 7 Long-serving parish clerk resigns from council hit by flaring tensions
- 8 Positives, negatives and plenty still to do - what we've learned from Town's pre-season
- 9 People with these surnames in Suffolk could be owed a fortune
- 10 Valley Ridge ski resort in jeopardy amid furious row over landfill site
They fell asleep and when they woke up some time later there was no sign of the woman’s friend.
Quantrell offered to drive the woman home and they got back to her house at around 5.30am, said Mr Vass.
She went in and turned on the heating and got into bed fully clothed and had no recollection of inviting Quantrell in, said Mr Vass.
The woman fell asleep and allegedly woke up to find her leggings and underwear had been pulled down and she could feel pain between her legs.
She then saw Quantrell naked in her bed and asked him to leave.
Quantrell allegedly kissed her on the cheek and asked for her telephone number before leaving.
The woman contacted her boyfriend and Quantrell, who was a DJ at Aquarium, was identified through Facebook, said Mr Vass.
The alleged victim’s boyfriend contacted Quantrell via Facebook and asked him if he had assaulted her and Quantrell allegedly said he had “misread the signals” and apologised.