Suffolk: Drivers back concerns over hidden road signs
- Credit: Archant
Motorists have united in condemning the prevalence of obscured road signs in Suffolk after the problem was highlighted by a driver’s speeding appeal victory.
As reported in Tuesday’s EADT, Caspar James successfully argued in court that his speeding conviction, issued in July 2013, had been unfair as the 30mph sign in Wattisfield, near Eye, had been covered with foliage.
Mr James’s concerns that obscured signs were dangerous, unfair and far too widespread – particularly along rural routes – have been echoed by readers online and by email.
One driver, who wished to remain anonymous, highlighted his own legal battle to overturn a speeding conviction, when he was caught doing 42mph in a 30mph zone in Suffolk. Like Mr James, this motorist was also able to argue the obscured signs left him unable to determine the legal limit.
Judge John Holt, responding to the prosecution’s submission that the driver should have checked the obscured sign, said sarcastically: “I see. So, there could be 30, 40, 50 or 60mph (signs) and it is incumbent on him to stop, get out his shears and have a look?”
You may also want to watch:
Others, commenting on Mr James’s experience, highlighted obscured signs around Sproughton, Sudbury and other rural routes.
Sue Douglas said: “What a shambles of a country we have become.”
- 1 Police confirm body found in River Orwell was of a 17-year-old boy
- 2 Body found in the River Orwell
- 3 Could any released Bristol City players reunite with Ashton at Ipswich?
- 4 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Blues 'eye' Sheffield Wednesday midfielder
- 5 Exit Interview: Nydam showed 'heart, desire and hunger' but was never able to take the next step
- 6 Town looking into Portman Road safe standing area ahead of new season
- 7 Wrong way A12 driver flees scene after causing crash
- 8 Man in 30s airlifted to hospital following serious fall
- 9 Reduce your dementia risk with 7 lifestyle changes
- 10 Woman who posed as food bank staff steals Easter eggs from Morrisons