SUFFOLK: Drug kingpin enjoyed life of luxury
FREE-spending drugs kingpin Johnathan McKenna made �216,186 for his cocaine network distributing the Class A drug throughout Suffolk and Norfolk.
However, by the time Ipswich Crown Court made an order to confiscate all his realisable assets as proceeds from crime he only had �4,150.03 left.
McKenna was the top man in a cocaine network which also included Ipswich boxer Henry Bacon, who was one of his couriers. McKenna, 26, a Liverpudlian who lived in Norwich, was jailed for 10 years eight months last week, while Bacon, 26, of Woodlands Way, was jailed for two years.
McKenna and his money-laundering girlfriend Caroline Murphy, 22, of Liverpool, enjoyed the trappings of their criminal riches, gained by bringing kilos of drugs down from Merseyside.
They were arrested in an early-morning raid at the high-class Dunston Hall hotel, just outside Norwich. The pair went there straight from another top-notch hotel, Claridges in London.
You may also want to watch:
The couple had a penchant for nice hotels, staying in them extensively. McKenna paid �800 in cash for a one-night stay in Claridges. On another occasion McKenna spent �1,000 at the same hotel. He and Murphy also enjoyed a stopover at the plush Radisson in Bloomsbury, London.
They also drove nice cars and bought expensive watches.
- 1 Ed Sheeran hints at new tour dates and reveals favourite Suffolk beer
- 2 Three East Anglian curry houses make final of English Curry Awards
- 3 Two people rescued in four vehicle crash on A14
- 4 A14 to close following four vehicle crash
- 5 Former addict marries 'guardian angel' after years of 'hell'
- 6 'It was horrific': Grandmother stuck abroad after 40ft castle fall
- 7 Towering views for royal on visit to see completed £4m Suffolk project
- 8 From Blues to U's - how ex-Town stars are faring at Colchester
- 9 7 of Suffolk's prettiest streets
- 10 Five star cat hotel opens near Bury St Edmunds
Murphy admitted laundering more than �38,000 through her bank accounts, but only had �3,825.03 left when arrested. She liked designer clothes, and enjoyed a shopping spree at Harrods along with a trip on the Eurostar to Disneyland Paris. She was given a Rolex watch, had her driving lessons paid for, and McKenna paid the rent on her family’s home.
One of McKenna’s henchmen, Michael Kynaston, also made plenty of money. Now serving an eight-year jail term, he amassed a benefit of �103,245, but only had �560.03 left by the time his assets were confiscated when he was sentenced.
Kynaston, McKenna, Bacon, and five other men were all jailed after admitting conspiracy to supply cocaine.