Suffolk: Ed Sheeran lands first UK number one single in official charts with Pharrell Williams-produced single Sing
- Credit: Cpl Daniel Wiepen RLC
Suffolk singer-songwriter Ed Sheeran has achieved his first UK number one single after Sing climbed to the top of the official charts.
Sheeran’s single, which was co-written and produced by US star Pharrell Williams, sold nearly 124,000 copies over the last seven days, according to the Official Charts Company.
It knocked Sam Smith’s Stay With Me off the top spot.
Sheeran, 23, who grew up in Framlingham, has achieved international fame in recent years.
He celebrated the news on Twitter, saying: “It’s official ! My first UK number 1 single. Thank you to everyone who supported it. Very happy right now.”
Sing, which he has already performed live on BBC’s Graham Norton Show and ITV’s Britain’s Got Talent in recent weeks, is from his latest album x (pronounced multiply), which is set for worldwide release on June 23.
It follows Sheeran’s 2011 debut + (“plus”), which went 22 times platinum worldwide and was the highest selling debut for a male British solo artist in the United States.
- 1 'We're going to push back!' - Ashton's message to Norwich City
- 2 Mystery of container ships at anchor off Suffolk coast solved
- 3 Town keen on Leeds left-back Davis
- 4 Man in 40s stabbed at town centre multi-storey car park
- 5 Tent, kitchen units and bedding dumped in 'unsightly' fly-tipping
- 6 Huge country home with no near neighbours up for sale for £1.45m
- 7 Family left homeless after bungalow destroyed in fire
- 8 Suspected drink driver arrested after three cars damaged in crash
- 9 Ipswich man, 27, arrested after stabbing in Bury St Edmunds car park
- 10 NHS 'wargames' collapse of West Suffolk Hospital building
It made Sheeran the biggest selling British artist since 2011.
He further gained popularity in the US when featuring in singer Taylor Swift’s track Everything Has Changed on her album Red in 2012.