Suffolk/Essex: Orwell Bridge could close as region braces itself for bad weather
- Credit: Archant
The Orwell Bridge could close this afternoon as the region braces itself for heavy rain and gusts of 85mph.
The bridge is currently under assessment by highways teams in anticipation of bad weather this afternoon, although police have advised high-sided vehicles not to use the bridge.
The Queen Elizabeth II bridge near Dartford tunnel has already closed today and is not expected to reopen until 4am tomorrow.
Forecasters expect gusts of between 60-70mph along the Suffolk and Essex coast this afternoon, with winds further inland still reaching up to 50mph. Heavy rainfall is also expected.
Worse weather is expected tonight, with southwesterly gales strengthening across parts of southeast England.
You may also want to watch:
The Met Office has placed an amber warning across the Suffolk and Essex coast from around midnight tonight. Gusts should reach up to 85mph along exposed coasts and 75mph inland overnight.
The Environment Agency currently has 13 flood alerts and one flood warning issued across its Anglia region, although none affect Suffolk or Essex.
- 1 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 2 History of the Cook cull - a look back at his busy transfer windows with Chesterfield, Portsmouth and Wigan
- 3 Felixstowe beach hut goes on sale for record price
- 4 Woman's body found in village home
- 5 A14 delays as police deal with incident near Orwell Bridge
- 6 Indian Covid variant being monitored in Suffolk after one case confirmed
- 7 A14 re-opens after medical emergency
- 8 ‘Unique’ farm in coveted river setting hits market for first time in 60 years
- 9 How many of these 11 award-winning Suffolk food businesses do you know?
- 10 'Things might have been very different'... outgoing skipper Chambers reflects on that play-off season
More than 50 Greater Anglia services have been cancelled across the region from 3.50pm today. Trains will be running slower across the network from 6pm while no trains are expected to run until 10am tomorrow.
For the latest updates keep checking our website.