Suffolk/Essex: Region bucks national norovirus trend
IPSWICH and Colchester hospitals have bucked the trend after both reported no cases of norovirus in December, against a national outbreak that saw 100,000 people affected by the winter vomiting bug.
Latest national figures suggested the number of confirmed cases was 72% higher over Christmas than the same time last year.
The dramatic rise was attributed in part to an early outbreak of the illness which closed dozens of hospital wards as it swept across the country.
But there were no ward closures at either Ipswich Hospital or Colchester General Hospital in December and no reported cases all month.
At West Suffolk Hospital, three wards were closed to new admissions at different times during December as a result of norovirus.
You may also want to watch:
One of these wards (G5) remains closed. It is currently being cleaned and should reopen by the weekend.
A spokesman said: “We would advise anyone who has had diarrhoea or vomiting to stay away from the hospital for at least 72 hours after they have recovered, even if they feel better. Otherwise they run the risk of unknowingly passing the highly-contagious illness on to someone who is already sick. We would also ask visitors to be vigilant and clean their hands using soap and water when they arrive and before they leave.”
- 1 Lorry driver hailed as hero after truck crushed in port accident
- 2 A12 closed following serious collision
- 3 Woodbridge bar owner to fight £1,000 fine for Covid rule breach
- 4 Man taken to hospital after 40ft container drops on lorry cab
- 5 Former Town defender could be in the frame to become Cook's No.2 after Richardson blow
- 6 Car SOS to feature family who lost father and son
- 7 Woman in critical condition and man arrested after serious A12 crash
- 8 French pop-up restaurant owner unveils new seaside hotel plan
- 9 Cage fighter Alex Reid jailed after OUR story exposes lie in insurance claim
- 10 Ipswich Debenhams to close on May 4 after the building is sold
A total of 3,877 laboratory-confirmed cases of norovirus have now been recorded in England and Wales - up on the 2,255 of last year. But the Health Protection Agency said that for every reported case, an estimated 288 were not flagged up, meaning around 1.12million people could have contracted the illness this season.
Although people can suffer from norovirus at any time of the year, activity increases in the winter months.