Suffolk: Family numbed by death of Pc
Further tributes have been paid to a Suffolk police officer who was found dead in a field.
The body of Pc Mike Gard, 37, was discovered by a member of the public near a track on open farmland at Blofield Heath, Norwich, on April 19.
His sister Sally revealed in a statement that he had discovered his father’s body when aged seven. On behalf of his family, she added: “Michael was dearly wanted by his mum and dad Joan and Fred and therefore all the family including big brother Dave and his two sisters were absolutely thrilled on the news of his arrival. He was the apple of their eye.
“Sadly it was Michael, at the tender age of seven, who found his dad dead, however he grew up into a cheerful teenager and young man, loving his family, nieces and nephews, and later his partner Donna and two beautiful children Alfie and Molly.
“We are all living in a numb daze of disbelief. Life will never be the same for us any more.
You may also want to watch:
“Michael was not only liked here in the UK but also overseas in Italy where his sister Sally and her family live. “Michael visited her in Italy every year since he was 13 and many people in the village there are shocked and saddened by the news.”
Pc Gard lived in Worlingham, near Beccles and had served at Southwold, Beccles and Halesworth.
- 1 Aldi targets Felixstowe, Saxmundham and Sudbury for new stores
- 2 'If offers are higher elsewhere, so be it' - Wigan CEO on losing Evans to Ipswich
- 3 Wanted man arrested in Stowupland village
- 4 Pub near Stowmarket closes temporarily due to Covid-19 case
- 5 Pair arrested for alleged sex assault on young woman
- 6 Chambers on a 'Town core setting standards' at Colchester
- 7 Sweltering Suffolk could see hottest day this year ahead of thunderstorms
- 8 Driver taken to hospital after crashing into wall
- 9 Farmer's anger at 'utterly vile' dog owner who tied dog mess to gate lock
- 10 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
Pc Gard has left two children, Molly and Alfie, and his partner of Donna Shrubsall, who described him as a loving family man who lived for his job.
Superintendent Ian Sidney, of Suffolk Police, said staff and colleagues had been “shocked and saddened” by the news.
The body of Pc Gard was found in shrubbery near a tree with significant head injuries and a shotgun was nearby.
Police have said their are no suspicious circumstances. A full inquest into his death will take place at a later date.