Combine harvester explodes causing ‘wall of fire’ through field
- Credit: Archant
Fire crews are at the scene of a raging farm fire in Glemsford this afternoon, which witnesses say spread like a wall of fire.
Crews were called to Lodge Farm at around 3pm after a combine harvester is believed to have burst into flames.
The fire spread and it is believed up to 10 acres of stubble and standing crop are ablaze.
A spokesman for Suffolk Fire and Rescue said the fire was around 200m wide in places.
Angela Barnes, who lives close to the field, said that she heard a loud explosion coming from the field.
You may also want to watch:
"It progressed straight across the field and towards the houses. It was like a wall of fire," said Ms Barnes.
"Someone churned up some of the field to break the fire but the combine is a wreck."
- 1 Matchday Recap: Town well beaten as Millwall win feisty friendly
- 2 Woman, 29, dies in crash with construction digger near A12
- 3 Air ambulance called as tree falls on partygoers
- 4 How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 3-0 loss to Millwall
- 5 Man jailed after dangerous dogs mauled sheep to death
- 6 'It could do us the world of good... it brings everyone down to earth with a little bit of a bump' - Cook on Millwall loss
- 7 Biker injured in crash with car in south Suffolk
- 8 Ipswich Town 0 Millwall 3: Town are well tamed by Lions
- 9 Andy's Angles: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-0 loss to Millwall
- 10 Warnock and Dijon boss give updates on Town targets Coulson and Celina
Five hose reels are being used at the scene as well as four beaters.
Three fire crews are currently on site with more on their way from around west Suffolk.
Suffolk police said they had been notified of the incident but were not attending.
A stop was called on the incident shortly before 4pm with crews staying on site to put out the remainder of the blaze.