Smoke from candle leads to emergency service response

Firefighters were called to a false alarm in Lakenheath on Friday Picture: PHIL MORLEY

Firefighters were called to a false alarm in Lakenheath on Friday Picture: PHIL MORLEY - Credit: Archant

Firefighters were called to a home in a Suffolk village after reports of smoke turned out to be an unattended candle.

Crews were called to a property on School Close in Lakenheath shortly after 8pm on Friday evening.

A passerby had called fire crews to the house after seeing smoke in the window of a room.

Two crews from Newmarket and another crew from across the border in Norfolk were called to the scene.

A spokesman for Suffolk Fire and Rescue said that on arrival crews found that there was no fire at the property and that instead a candle had been left unattended.

She said the owner of the property was not at home and crews had contacted them.

Most Read

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter