Huge forest fire breaks out at Elveden
- Credit: Archant
Firefighters have tackled a huge blaze in Elveden where 800 square metres of trees were on fire.
Fire crews were called at around 11.50am today, Wednesday, April 24 to reports of a forest fire just off the B1106 at Elveden, on Duke’s Ride Track.
Around 800 square metres of trees were reported to be alight.
Firefighters from six engines were called to battle the blaze, including two engines from Thetford, and one each from Bury St Edmunds, Brandon, Mildenhall and Newmarket.
A water carrier from RAF Lakenheath was also sent to the scene of the fire to provide a greater water supply.
According to a spokesman for Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service, crews had extinguished the fire and called a stop on the incident by 3.45pm.
He said: “All engines have returned back to base apart from one that has stayed to dampen down.”
- 1 New cafe toasts successful first week
- 2 Thatch roof of cottage 'fully alight' in village near Needham Market
- 3 Patrols 'throughout the night' following dispersal order in Suffolk town
- 4 Young driver crashes car just a week after passing
- 5 New state-of-the-art army attack helicopters undergo testing in Suffolk
- 6 Harper and El Mizouni made available for loan
- 7 Police warning after Suffolk driver speeds at 126mph
- 8 Bakinson's the 'mini Pogba' who has been a big hit on loan before and will now look to prove the doubters wrong
- 9 'Versatile, hungry, athletic and technical' - McKenna on new signing Bakinson
- 10 'Dream come true': Excitement as new salon opens in Woodbridge
Suffolk police were also called to be made aware of the blaze.
There is no indication at this time as to how the fire started.