Huge forest fire breaks out at Elveden
- Credit: Archant
Firefighters have tackled a huge blaze in Elveden where 800 square metres of trees were on fire.
Fire crews were called at around 11.50am today, Wednesday, April 24 to reports of a forest fire just off the B1106 at Elveden, on Duke’s Ride Track.
Around 800 square metres of trees were reported to be alight.
Firefighters from six engines were called to battle the blaze, including two engines from Thetford, and one each from Bury St Edmunds, Brandon, Mildenhall and Newmarket.
A water carrier from RAF Lakenheath was also sent to the scene of the fire to provide a greater water supply.
You may also want to watch:
According to a spokesman for Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service, crews had extinguished the fire and called a stop on the incident by 3.45pm.
He said: “All engines have returned back to base apart from one that has stayed to dampen down.”
- 1 'I will be like Demolition Man... there will be a lot of pain' - Cook on his Town squad overhaul
- 2 Suffolk actress Helen McCrory dies following cancer battle
- 3 Rise in number of Covid patients in Suffolk and north Essex hospitals
- 4 Judge heading to Ipswich exit as contract clause could end Irishman's Portman Road stay
- 5 Frustrated Suffolk farmer returns dumped items to householders
- 6 All 24 League One home kits ranked from worst to first
- 7 Next steps outlined for decision on A12 traffic light plans
- 8 12 villages set to receive some of UK's fastest ever broadband
- 9 'He goes with our best wishes' - Cook confirms Judge will leave Town
Suffolk police were also called to be made aware of the blaze.
There is no indication at this time as to how the fire started.