‘Large dangerous pothole’ opens up in road
- Credit: Archant
A trip to Tesco nearly spelled disaster for drivers in Stowmarket after a huge pothole opened up on the A1120.
On a bridge on the major road in Stowmarket, Suffolk Constabulary officers were alerted to a new a enormous pothole in the road that was endangering motorists.
The fault in the right-hand lane was close to the centre of the eastbound carriageway, posing a threat to cars in either lane.
Many potholes have developed this week on Suffolk roads, made much worse by the freezing temperatures and ice expanding in pre-existing cracks.
The hole was blocked by a police road sign, patrol vehicle and cones - closing one lane of the busy road - while the officers waited for Suffolk Highways to get to the scene to carry out emergency repairs to the road surface.
You may also want to watch:
Stowmarket Police tweeted: “A1120 towards Tesco - large dangerous pothole being covered by police as we wait for Suffolk Highways to come and repair it.
“Please slow down when passing.”
- 1 Pictures show flooding along Suffolk coast
- 2 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Villa set to recall Barry in January
- 3 Red flooding alert issued for Suffolk coastal town
- 4 Large cannabis farm discovered in property near Suffolk-Essex border
- 5 Family pays tribute to 'gentle giant' who died in motorbike crash
- 6 Police officers praised for saving baby's life with CPR
- 7 'Striking' Suffolk eco home featured on Grand Designs up for sale
- 8 Work finally starts on the Ipswich Garden Suburb after decades of debate
- 9 Bill Turnbull announces leave from Classic FM show for health reasons
- 10 No need to wait for booster invitation - clarification after Covid jab confusion
The road was fully reopened and repaired by Suffolk Highways by 7pm and is not believed to pose an ongoing problem.