Man arrested on suspicion of murder after teenager dies from multiple stab wounds in Ipswich
PUBLISHED: 08:24 04 June 2018
A 41-year-old man arrested on suspicion of murder following the death of a 17-year-old in Ipswich remains in police custody.
Suffolk police were called by the ambulance service at around 4.50pm on Saturday, June 2, to reports that a 17-year-old boy had been stabbed in Packard Avenue, in the Nacton area of Ipswich, near to a parade of shops in Queens Way.
The air ambulance and police helicopter were also called to assist and the victim was taken to hospital where he later died, police have confirmed.
A 41-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of murder and taken into police custody for questioning.
A statement released by Suffolk Constabulary said: “Early enquires lead detectives to believe that this was a targeted attack and initial witness reports have stated that the victim was walking back from the shops in Queen’s Way when he was approached by two males on bicycles who attacked him.
“Witnesses state that they were then joined by four to five other males and he was further assaulted, before all the offenders then fled the scene.”
Packard Avenue remains closed while a police investigation takes place and people can expect to see an increased police presence in Ipswich overnight, with additional high-visibility patrols taking place across the town.
The road, which is about 200 yards long, was taped off at both ends with further tape close to scene were the teenager was stabbed and a white forensic tent covered the attack area.
Neighbours and residents reacted with shock and horror following the incident, with many saying they knew the victim.
One person said he had spent time talking to him at the nearby shops when the teenager walked back to Packard Avenue and was attacked.
“I saw some people jump out of a van and attack him and before I knew it he was on the floor,” he said.
A woman said: “I never thought anything like this could happen up here ... it’s shocking and so sad.”
One neighbour, who lives at the end of the road, said he saw the victim on a daily basis and always stopped to chat.
“He always used to say ‘hello’ to me ... he’s a lovely boy and I nearly saw him every day.
“He went out of his way to say ‘hello’ every time I saw him.
“He’s one of the best young lads from around here and there’s no malice in him.”
Residents said the teenager lived with his parents nearby.
Another neighbour spoke of the “screaming” and “shouting” he heard soon after the stabbing occurred.
He said: “I saw a commotion in the road and the next thing I knew there was wailing and screaming along with shouting. Then about nine police cars turned up along with a van and the helicopter soon arrived hovering over the scene.”
Armed police were also reported to have been seen in the Woodbridge Road area of Kesgrave, close to the junction with Elm Road, which police said was linked to the investigation.
Any witnesses to the attack are asked to contact South CID at Landmark House on 101 quoting reference CAD 306 of 2 June. Alternatively call the charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the East Anglian Daily Times. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.