Suffolk: Local girl finds giant egg
WHEN youngster Isobel Cullen went to check on her chickens it was probably the last thing she egg-pected.
But the 10-year-old was shocked to find an enormous egg, more than three times bigger than the average.
It was laid by six-month-old Bluebell - a grey hybrid chicken - and measured 85mm in length and weighed 150g.
Her mum, Sarah Cullen, of The Street, Chelsworth, near Hadleigh, said: “Isobel ran inside to tell everyone, she did not know what had happened. I thought it was a mushroom or a massive stone, and then we got terribly excited.
“I do not know why a chicken would have laid an egg that big, she’s never done it before.”
You may also want to watch:
The Cullens are having to keep the egg away from their Welsh Terrier, Lottie, who they fear will eat it if given the chance. But Mrs Cullen, who works as a health visitor, said their two cats were less interested in the egg.
The family are now deciding what to do with the oversized egg but have not ruled out making a ‘really big omelette’.
- 1 Flooding leaves main route through town 'impassable'
- 2 Suffolk to miss worst of thunderstorms - but heavy downpours still expected
- 3 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich's 1-0 win at Lincoln
- 4 Five cars and a horsebox involved in crash near RAF base
- 5 See inside stunning £2m Woodbridge home with 'fantastic leisure complex'
- 6 Teenager who lost driving licence receives surprise in post
- 7 A14 reopens after serious crash leaves road closed for several hours
- 8 'It was a clear foul' - Imps boss Appleton angry after Town defeat
- 9 Gangs of 'lampers' use spotlights to distract animals and kill them
- 10 Two cars set alight in two different streets
The family, who have three hens and two cockerels, keep the eggs for themselves or give them away to friends.
A spokeswoman for the Guinness World Records said they do not currently monitor records for chicken eggs.