Suffolk man arrested after illegal rave in Swindon
- Credit: Archant
A Suffolk man was arrested after four police officers were injured following a nine-hour stand-off with revellers at an illegal rave in Swindon.
Wiltshire Police said five arrests had been made after emergency services were pelted with missiles including bricks at an empty unit on the River Ray industrial estate in Rodbourne.
Hundreds of people turned up to attend the illegal rave shortly after midnight, although police were able to turn most of them away.
One officer was taken to hospital with a head injury after being struck by a missile. Three others were treated at the scene.
Four men, aged 20-22 and from Suffolk, Dunstable, Norwich and Kettering, were arrested for violent disorder.
A 34-year-old man from Cambridgeshire was arrested for violent assault and assaulting a police officer, Wiltshire Police said.
Superintendent Andrew Carr said: “The event is now over but we have to assess the damage to local premises and businesses.
- 1 Matchday Recap: How Town's cup defeat to Colchester played out
- 2 Police attending 'incident' near town centre
- 3 Smoke seen across Ipswich as crews tackle large fire
- 4 'Quite different to traditional gyms' Suffolk gym with a difference opens
- 5 Firefighters tackling fire near popular Suffolk hotel and spa
- 6 Buy the bread everyone’s raving about at new Suffolk cafe
- 7 Andy Angles: Five observations following Town's Carabao Cup exit
- 8 'He'd be dead' - mum's terror after wave drags her and baby down beach
- 9 Farmer 'heartbroken' as land sees fourth fire in 10 days
- 10 Town closing in on deal for experienced defender Keogh
“It is very disappointing that this incident escalated, resulting in arrests and officers injured.
“Members of the public became hostile to officers and began to throw missiles. This resulted in damage to vehicles parked nearby, and included some businesses premises and fences in the area.
“We are pleased that this has now ended.”
Officers from Avon and Somerset and Thames Valley were called to help at the scene.