Suffolk men to be included on overseas terror attack memorial
- Credit: AP
The Government is to fund a permanent memorial dedicated to the victims of the Tunisian beach massacre - including two Suffolk victims.
The Prime Minister said that a separate site of remembrance would be created for all British nationals killed in terrorist atrocities overseas.
They include Suffolk men Stuart Cullen, 52, from Lowestoft, and Philip Heathcote, 52, from Felixstowe.
Mr Cullen’s body was returned to Britain on Saturday, as the final victims of the Tunisia terror attack were repatriated.
Meanwhile, Mr Heathcote’s wife Allison, 48, of Felixstowe, remained in a critical but stable condition at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Birmingham.
She sustained five gunshot wounds – three to her upper and lower torso, one to her right arm and one to her shoulder.
Both new memorials will be paid for out of fines levied on the banks by the Financial Conduct Authority.
- 1 Man with foot fetish jailed for sexually assaulting women
- 2 Nine Ipswich players who could follow Nsiala out the door this month
- 3 Van driver in his 20s dies in Elmswell crash
- 4 Road near A14 closed after 'serious' two-vehicle crash
- 5 See inside £1.25m bungalow for sale in one of Suffolk's 'poshest' villages
- 6 'Versatile, hungry, athletic and technical' - McKenna on new signing Bakinson
- 7 'I'm not bothered... he can go' - Pearson on Town target Bakinson
- 8 Town working on loan deal for Bristol City midfielder
- 9 Flood alert issued for parts of Suffolk coastline
- 10 Colchester sack Mullins as ex-Town defender takes interim charge of U's
Mr Cameron also announced that a special service would be held in the autumn dedicated to all those caught up in the attack on the Tunisian resort of Sousse which left 30 British holidaymakers dead.
“Those who lost their lives in Tunisia last week were innocent victims of a brutal terrorist atrocity,” the Prime Minister said.
“It is right that we mark and commemorate them and others murdered by terrorists overseas appropriately and support the loved ones they have left behind in every way we can.”
The announcement comes as the country prepares to mark the tenth anniversary of the 7/7 London bombings with a wreath-laying ceremony at the memorial in Hyde Park and a national service of remembrance at St Paul’s Cathedral.
Foreign Office Minister Tobias Ellwood, who has been working with the families of the Tunisia attack victims, said that they would be consulted about the location and design of the memorial over the coming months.
“This memorial will be for the families, so we want to talk to them about our plans to determine what they feel is most appropriate,” he said.
Mr Ellwood, whose brother Jonathan was killed in the 2002 Bali bombing, said the memorial could well be sited in the North as that was where most of the victims came from.
“Having been through a similar situation, I know how important it is that these families, who have been united by a single tragedy, have that marked in one place,” he said.