Suffolk: MEP, Richard Howitt, urges protest over centre plans
- Credit: Andrew Partridge
A Euro MP has called on families to protest the possible closure of children’s centres across Suffolk.
Labour MEP Richard Howitt said that government cutbacks were to blame for money-saving proposals by Suffolk County Council for nine children’s centre buildings and services.
Consultation is currently under way on the future of children’s centres in Felixstowe, Glemsford, Hadleigh, Haverhill, Ipswich, Lowestoft, Reydon and Southwold and Thurston.
The council says changes could help save £2.9 million in four years – 1.9% of a £156m savings requirement over the same period.
Mr Howitt said: “The help and support these local children’s centres offer parents and their young children in areas of greatest need cannot be overstated.
You may also want to watch:
“The wide range of activities has been actively supported by Suffolk County Council so far, but due to government cutbacks for local authorities there is currently a consultation on the future funding and structure of the children’s centres.
“I’m supporting parents in their demands that these centres continue to offer their excellent support for young families and do not face future cuts.”
- 1 Ed Sheeran to be Ipswich Town shirt sponsor for 2021/22
- 2 Driver convicted of killing friend in A12 crash
- 3 Teaching assistant wins unfair dismissal claim
- 4 Woodbridge nurse plans Caribbean retirement after National Lottery win
- 5 First views of £1.5m new seafront cafe as hoardings removed
- 6 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 7 'It could have been a lot worse' - Thatched home owner thanks crews after fire
- 8 Woman in hospital after fire at Ipswich house
- 9 'This bloke is the new sponsor of Ipswich Town' - Ed Sheeran posts throwback picture after shirt announcement
- 10 Iconic names, a disastrous relationship and now a music superstar - the evolution of Town’s shirt sponsors
The council has already saved £1.25m from recurring under-spends in the service and by cutting waste.
It said the cost of running or maintaining some of the buildings was disproportionately high when compared to the number of people using them, but that none of the services currently provided will be lost if proposed changes go ahead, and will instead be delivered differently, from a nearby location or direct to families in their homes.
Gordon Jones, head of children’s services, said he was committed to exploring ways to better services, so that they bring greater benefit to users.
“This review and consultation has to take place, some centres are too small and offer limited services for families but require expensive maintenance and running costs,” he said. “Also, staff already deliver a number of services to families in community venues and in their own homes, often providing more efficient support.
“The proposals look to retain services and make them more accessible to families, rid ourselves of buildings that no longer meet the needs of the communities they serve; deliver services alongside other like-minded services and make sure that staff are spending their time doing what it is they signed up to do – help improve the lives of Suffolk children and their families. I urge all those using these services to share their views and engage fully with us.”
Consultation responses must be received by the end of Thursday October 16. Any decisions will be made in December. Any changes will be made from April 2015.