Suffolk: More than a dozen held in police swoops
- Credit: Archant
THIRTEEN people were arrested during countywide police raids targeting burglars and those handling stolen goods, police said today.
A total of 24 premises were targeted as part of an ongoing operation codenamed Drawbridge.
Eleven teams of officers carried out warrants across Suffolk, along with police community support officers.
Among those arrested in yesterday’s raids was Michael Harvey, 34, of Reynolds Avenue, Ipswich.
He was charged with a burglary in Landseer Road, Ipswich on December 14 and receiving stolen goods. Another man, Mark Lewis, 38, of Larkhill Way, Felixstowe, was charged with burgling Clinton Cards in the town’s Hamilton Road, earlier this month.
You may also want to watch:
Among the others to be arrested was a 20-year-old man from Bury St Edmunds was arrested on suspicion of possession of a firearm without a licence. He has been bailed to return to Bury St Edmunds Police Investigation Centre on March 6.
A 58-year-old man from Haverhill is on police bail after being detained on suspicion of possession of an offensive weapon, possession of a non-class A drug and handling stolen goods
- 1 Ipswich Town lead the chase to sign Luton skipper Sonny Bradley
- 2 Passenger falls off motorbike on A134
- 3 Caravans pitched at Portman Road car park
- 4 'Mass of smoke' billows from roof in house fire
- 5 ‘Unique’ farm in coveted river setting hits market for first time in 60 years
- 6 First look at golf club's multi-million pound coastal homes development
- 7 New rickshaw taxi service starts in town
- 8 Luke Chambers: 'To be brutally honest, I didn't think I would be leaving the club this summer'
- 9 Former Town star Clapham gets head coaching role
- 10 Tributes to 'loyal, caring' man, 28, who died after A14 crash
A 17-year-old boy from Ipswich was arrested on suspicion of burglary and is now on bail until February 18.
A 28-year-old man from Felixstowe was arrested on suspicion of possession with intent to supply a class B drug. He has been bailed to return to Martlesham Police Investigation Centre on March 11.
A 31-year-old man from Bury St Edmunds was arrested on suspicion of being concerned in the supply of class A drugs. He was bailed to return to Bury St Edmunds Police Investigation Centre on March 21.
Operation Drawbridge is a countywide initiative, aimed at reducing the number of burglaries across the county and increasing the number of crimes being ‘solved’ with offenders brought to justice.
Detective Superintendent Stuart Sedgwick said yesterday’s operation was a success.
He added: “Tackling burglary is a key priority for the force. We have dedicated work going on across the county to ensure that we reduce this area of crime, by ensuring that communities know how to protect their homes and by taking action against those we know to be responsible.
“Whilst there has been a significant reduction in the number of house burglaries over the last twelve months, this operation was designed to target those individuals still committing this type of crime. There was an additional focus on people prepared to buy stolen goods as this contributes to the problem.”