Suffolk: New campaign to build on Olympic Games volunteer legacy
- Credit: Archant
A new campaign has been launched to build on the legacy of volunteering inspired by last year’s London Olympic Games.
The Just Once a Month campaign was launched at the Suffolk Volunteering Legacy summit, organised by Community Action Suffolk and Suffolk County Council.
The summit was held to update delegates on continuing efforts to secure a volunteering legacy for Suffolk from the Games. Just Once a Month specifically links potential volunteers to the successful County Events Team.
The County Events Team was set up in the run-up to the Games to provide support for sport and cultural events in the county. In just two years hundreds of volunteers have given thousands of hours of support to dozens of events.
Suffolk resident and County Events Team member Huw Samuel was the inspiration behind Just Once a Month after returning from being a Games Maker last summer.
He said: “I enjoy volunteering at local events. It feels good to be helping others.
“I volunteer once a month because it suits my lifestyle.
- 1 Village hall treasurer jailed after stealing cash to help his business
- 2 Push for 4 day work week in Suffolk after company's profits soar 200%
- 3 Road near A14 closed after 'serious' two-vehicle crash
- 4 'Incredible' Downes tipped 'to play at the very top'
- 5 When loans go permanent: Town's hits and misses when keeping hired hands full-time
- 6 First look inside Ipswich's new Tim Hortons ahead of opening
- 7 'We thought he could be someone special' - Comolli on McKenna's start in coaching
- 8 Flood alert issued for parts of Suffolk coastline
- 9 Colchester sack Mullins as ex-Town defender takes interim charge of U's
- 10 Walton completes permanent move to Ipswich Town
“It fits in well with my busy schedule – it means I can volunteer without it having a negative effect on all of the other things I do”.
Mike McCarthy, the legacy project officer from Community Action Suffolk, said: “Volunteers like Huw are doing a terrific job in helping us to establish a 2012 volunteering legacy in Suffolk.
“There is plenty of talk across the UK about ‘legacy’ – thanks to the great volunteers here in Suffolk and the support of our partners, we are busy doing something about it.”
For further information about Just Once a Month or the Suffolk Volunteering Legacy Project, call Mr McCarthy on 01473 275196 or visit www.suffolkvolunteeringlegacy.org.uk