‘Like living in a movie’ - neighbours react after major police incident
- Credit: Hermione Way
A heavy police presence was spotted across several streets in Stowmarket last night, and it is believed an assault may have taken place.
The majority of the police activity appears to have been centred between the train station and Newton Road.
And it is believed an assault may have taken place near NRG fitness.
A fire crew were also called to the scene.
There has been speculation on social media but police are today unable to update on what the incident may have been.
You may also want to watch:
A police spokesman said the matter was “complex”.
Mum-of-two. Hermione Way, 34, who lives on Newton Road witnessed police with sniffer dogs searching a house on Newton Road looking for a suspect at around 10pm.
- 1 'We've got to be better - myself included' - Cook on 3-0 loss at Northampton Town
- 2 'Loving and devoted' - Family pay tribute to mother-of-five found in park
- 3 Community thanked for helping seriously burned man at Hadleigh petrol station
- 4 Matchday Recap: Town beaten yet again as Blues flop at Northampton
- 5 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 3-0 defeat to Northampton
- 6 DHL driver apologises after 'dangerous' driving in Ipswich rat-run
- 7 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-0 defeat at Northampton Town
- 8 Have you seen this Suffolk pub’s new outdoor kitchen and bar?
- 9 'Nothing surprises me anymore' - Judge on Town departure
- 10 Grandfather-of-two 'died with dignity' in hospice while serving life sentence
She said: “It was quite scary to see so many police with guns on our little road.
“I never expected to see that in Stowmarket. It was like living in a movie.”
A video posted on Facebook showed armed police on Newton Road while others reported seeing a helicopter circling over parts of the mid Suffolk town.
The Fire Service attended a location very close to Newton Road at the request of the police at 9.41pm. They left the incident just after 11pm.
A spokesman for the fire service said that they had been called to extinguish fires in an area of scrubland between B1113 and Stowmarket Town Football Club. It is not known if the two incidents were directly linked.
Mrs Way said she could smell smoke.
Suffolk police have been asked to clarify the nature of the incident was.