Suffolk: Police officer due in court over harassment charge
- Credit: Archant
A Suffolk police officer is due to appear in court accused of harassment over a period of 14 months.
Panicos Monk, known as Pani, is accused of harassment without violence.
The detective sergeant, of Church Road, Bedfield, near Woodbridge, is scheduled to make his first appearance on the charge at Norwich Magistrates Court on June 14.
At the time of his arrest Monk was working in the investigation management unit at Suffolk Constabulary’s Martlesham headquarters.
Although Monk, 44, currently lives near Woodbridge, it is believed he previously had connections with the Bury St Edmunds area and had been based there.
You may also want to watch:
The accusation against Monk claims the alleged harassment took place between February 14 last year and April this year.
He was arrested on April 21 and taken to Wymondham Police Investigation Centre in Norfolk, where he was questioned before being released on bail until May pending further enquiries.
- 1 Tributes to 'loyal, caring' man, 28, who died after A14 crash
- 2 Body found in the River Orwell
- 3 HOW THE NIGHT UNFOLDED: Witches prove too hot for Lynn
- 4 Former Town star Clapham gets head coaching role
- 5 Woman who posed as food bank staff steals Easter eggs from Morrisons
- 6 Reduce your dementia risk with 7 lifestyle changes
- 7 What has changed in Woodbridge over lockdown?
- 8 Exit Interview: Nydam showed 'heart, desire and hunger' but was never able to take the next step
- 9 Person taken to hospital after two-car crash
- 10 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Blues 'eye' Sheffield Wednesday midfielder
The investigation was overseen by officers from Suffolk Constabulary’s professional standards department.
Monk was charged on May 20, the day before he was due to answer bail.
Police have said he is currently suspended from his post on full pay pending the outcome of his court case and any subsequent internal inquiry.
Lisa Miller, a spokeswoman for Suffolk Police, said: “A man has been charged with harassment and is due to appear at Norwich Magistrates Court on June 14, 2013.
“Pani Monk, aged 44, from Church Road, Bedfield, who is a serving police officer was suspended from duty on February 26, 2013, subject to a criminal investigation.
“When suspended, Pani Monk was a detective sergeant working in the investigation management unit at Suffolk Police Headquarters.”