Ipswich primary school celebrates “incredible” year of sporting success
- Credit: SIDEGATE PRIMARY SCHOOL
An Ipswich primary school is celebrating its most successful sporting year in history – boasting an impressive five county titles and several ‘invincible’ teams.
Throughout the 2017/18 academic year, pupils at Sidegate Primary competed in 12 different types of sport in 21 tournaments, leagues and competitions.
The sporty youngsters are now the reigning Suffolk County Champions in basketball, Hi-5 netball, boys football, girls football and rounders; and are county runners up in sportshall athletics and quicksticks hockey.
Of these, both the boys’ and girls’ football teams went unbeaten this season, while the Hi-5 netball squad won every game.
Michael Barwick, sports coach at the school, said: “This has been an incredible year for Sidegate Primary School students. Our teams of dedicated young people regularly attend training and listen carefully to coaching to allow themselves to improve and develop team-working. I am immensely proud of all the pupils who have represented the school this year across the wide range of sporting opportunities that we offer.”
Wendy James, headteacher, added: “At Sidegate, we are committed to providing a broad, rich and balanced curriculum. The sporting results this year reflect four years of high quality PE lessons and extra-curricular opportunities. Our sports coach, Michael, ensures we enter as many leagues and competitions as the school calendar will allow.
“I would like to thank and congratulate our small team of dedicated staff, who work tirelessly to train the pupils; organise the necessary paperwork for matches and competitions; and transport the pupils to and from the matches. Much of the time they put in is completely voluntary and the school is very lucky for their support.”
- 1 Two arrests as man suffers serious injuries in pub brawl in seaside village
- 2 Plans for former Dorothy Perkins store in Suffolk town withdrawn
- 3 Andy's Angles: Five observations from Ipswich Town's win at Forest Green
- 4 Top food event set to provide showcase for more than 100 Suffolk producers
- 5 Driver caught speeding at 94mph in 50 zone on A140 in mid Suffolk
- 6 Four taken to hospital after crash involving ambulance on A146
- 7 'A top team for League One' - Forest Green boss praises Town
- 8 Hunt for convicted murderer released on temporary licence in Ipswich
- 9 Sir Cliff Richard sends best wishes to Summer Holiday cast
- 10 Noise warning issued due to late night fighter jet training over airbase
Year six student, Maia Wiseman, was announced as Sidegate’s Sports Personality of the Year 2017/18, at the school’s end of year awards ceremony in July. Having tried her hand at basketball for the first time in year three, Maia has worked her way up the sporting ladder – and now plays for Basketball England’s East Region team.
She said: “I really enjoy being able to try lots of different sports at school and having the encouragement from my teachers and Mr Barwick. Through sports, I have learned the importance of working together as part of a team and about the different skills that people bring to the team. Taking part in the competitive sporting events has also really improved my confidence as I can see my skills improving.”