Good Pub Guide 2019 recognises a number of Suffolk’s watering holes
- Credit: Archant
A number of the county’s watering holes are toasting their successes after receiving a fantastic showing in the Good Pub Guide 2019.
In Suffolk 21 pubs were listed as being recommended by the Good Pub Guide, spreading right across the county.
The guide, which is released annually, contains hundreds of independent reviews of establishments countrywide.
As well as recommending many of our pubs hundreds more were listed in this year’s guide as being “worth a visit”.
Among those celebrating their rating was The White Horse at Sibton near Saxmundham.
You may also want to watch:
As well as being recommended by the guide The White Horse also received a dining award for its food. The third year in a row that it has received this accolade.
Landlord Neil Mason said: “It’s now 13 years for Gill and I at the Sibton White Horse.
- 1 Antiques Roadtrip star opens new Suffolk antiques shop
- 2 Driver flees after crashing into level crossing
- 3 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Spurs loanee Parrott set to return to Blues next season
- 4 'Complete negligence' - anger as sports clubs locked out of playing fields
- 5 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-0 loss at AFC Wimbledon
- 6 Mike Bacon: 'Be careful what you wish for' - But we've been proved right, we saw this coming years ago
- 7 Suffolk police teams to star in new documentary series on Dave
- 8 Cyclist dies after collision with car in Bury St Edmunds
- 9 Cafe owner 'very emotional' after mystery customer leaves £500 for staff
- 10 Witnesses sought after four-vehicle crash in east Suffolk
“But despite the years we are always proud to receive an award in recognition of the team’s efforts.
“Overnight guests come back time and again and many have become good friends.”
In Ipswich there was good news for the Fat Cat pub who were named one of the top ten beer pubs in the country.
They were pipped by their colleagues in the Norwich Fat Cat who won beer pub of the year.
Liz Pledge, manager at the Fat Cat in Ipswich said: “It’s absolutely fantastic. We do try very hard to keep our customers happy.”
She added that their Norwich colleagues had done well but they would be fighting back next year.
The Weeping Willow in Barrow near Bury St Edmunds was one of the runners up for the new pub of the year category.
Elsewhere the Unruly Pig were celebrating their entry into the guide along with a wine award.
In addition the pub has also found itself highly rated in the Good Food Guide which was also released today.
“It’s sensational news,” said Brendan Padfield from the Unruly Pig, “A double accolade in one day is testament as to how the team at The Unruly Pig consistently delivers year after year: they make me so proud.”
Also receiving a wine award were the Turks Head at Hasketon.
Licensee Jemima Withey said: “I am absolutely chuffed. In terms of beer keeping we take that very very seriously.
“We are a proper country pub.”
The full list of pubs recommended by the Good Pub Guide 2019 are:
The Unruly Pig, Bromeswell
Fat Cat, Ipswich
White Horse, Sibton
The Anchor, Walberswick
The Packhorse Inn, Moulton
Greyhound Inn, Pettistree
The Eels Foot Inn, Leiston
Maybush Inn, Waldringfield
The Crown, Southwold
The Black Lion, Long Melford
The Bell, Saxmundham
Bell Inn, Walberswick
The White Horse, Whepstead
The Crown, Stoke-By-Nayland
Turks Head, Hasketon
Harbour Inn, Southwold
The Ship, Dunwich
Ye Olde Cross Keys, Aldeburgh
The Weeping Willow Pub, Barrow
Butt and Oyster, Pin Mill
The Wesleton Crown, Westleton