Pubs ready to represent Suffolk in final of Great British Pub Awards
Two well known east Suffolk pubs are preparing to do battle as they fight it out for top industry awards.
The Turks Head in Hasketon and The Unruly Pig in Bromeswell are both finalists in categories of the Great British Pub Awards 2018.
Neither of the pubs are strangers to award ceremony’s with The Unruly Pig having recently won the Best Suffolk Restaurant category at the Suffolk Food and Drink awards and the Turks Head having recently been named the Best Pub in Suffolk by Pub and Bar Magazine.
Chandramauli Dwivedi, the head chef at the Turks Head is in the final for the Best Chef category for the second year running.
Jemima Withey from the The Turks Head said:” “We are extremely proud that our head chef Mauli has made it to the final ‘cook-off’ stage of the Great British Pub Awards - Best Chef for the second year running.
You may also want to watch:
“We are very blessed in Suffolk with the quality of producers on our doorstep. We work closely with Gressingham Duck, Sutton Hoo Chicken and Virginia Nurseries who are all based within a few miles of the pub, amongst several others.”
For the Unruly Pig the joy is doubled as the pub is a finalist in two categories.
- 1 Matchday Live: Four goals in a busy first half
- 2 Town complete ninth signing as Edmundson joins from Scottish giants
- 3 Teenage girl allegedly raped on village recreation ground, court hears
- 4 'Amazing' - Joy as port welcomes maiden call of luxury cruise ship
- 5 Kenyan school chums meet by 'unbelievable chance' at Suffolk village fete
- 6 Man dies after lorry crashes into trees
- 7 Suffolk postcode sees house prices rise by £100,000 in a year
- 8 Some areas record twice monthly rainfall in a day - and more heavy rain to come
- 9 Friends reunited, points to prove and more goals, please - Town face U's
- 10 Man in 40s airlifted to hospital after suffering medical emergency
Head chef Dave Wall will be taking on Mr Dwivedi in the Best Chef category while the pub itself has also been nominated for the Best Food Pub category.
“It’s been such a rollercoaster since we re opened,” said Brendan Padfield, owner of the Unruly Pig, “but I now feel so proud of what head chef, Dave Wall and the whole Unruly team have achieved - I just sit back and the kitchen and front of house teams do all the hard yards!”
“Whatever the outcome on the day, it is a privilege and honour to have even reached the final- Dave and the whole team have worked so very hard and go from strength to strength.
“They have made an old man oh so very happy! “
West Suffolk is also represented in the awards as The Stillery in Bury St Edmunds is also a finalist in the Best Spirits Bar or Pub category.
The two Suffolk pubs are up against stiff competition from finalists from across the country.
They will now have to wait a few months to find if either of them have hit the top spot with the award winners being announced in London on September 6.