Massive cycle ride raises £150k to repair ageing churches
- Credit: Archant
A cycle ride involving hundreds of riders has raised £150,000 to help repair Suffolk’s historic churches.
The Suffolk Historic Churches Trust holds the Ride and Stride event every year, where people tour as many glorious ancient church buildings by pedal or foot.
The coronavirus crisis meant not as many churches could participate in this year’s event on Saturday, September 12.
Yet despite that, it surpassed its previous fundraising record of £128,223, set in 2019.
“In March, when the Ride and Stride was planned, any reservations we had were outweighed by the enthusiasm of our organisers, and the continuing need for funds for the Trust,” said Patrick Grieve, chairman of Suffolk Churches Ride and Stride.
You may also want to watch:
“It was a challenge, and we have all been surprised and delighted at the response from riders, walkers and their generous sponsors.
“We would like to send our profound thanks to all. With cash still coming in, hopefully we can take the figure over £155,000.”
- 1 Suffolk Instagram star spreads body positivity for 'mid-size' girls through fashion
- 2 Former bakery goes up for sale after restaurant plans fall through
- 3 Suffolk events going ahead this summer which you can enjoy
- 4 A140 closed this weekend to connect road to new roundabout
- 5 Hair salon and cocktail bar opening new Suffolk site as demand 'goes bananas'
- 6 Storms uncover another large Suffolk shipwreck
- 7 Murder probe launched after woman found dead at Ipswich flat
- 8 Covid patient admissions drop at Ipswich and Colchester hospitals
- 9 'I don't want to tarnish the good feelings I have with the fans' - Lambert on Celtic vacancy
- 10 Ex-Town star named as U's boss
Pedal and Drive, a sister event for vintage and classic cars, was also held again this year - raising an extra £15,000, with more than 100 vehicles taking part.
Grants are given by the Trust to churches in need of repair, with the most recent to benefit including All Saints Hartest, All Saints Ashbocking, The Unitarian Meeting House in Ipswich and St Mary’s Pakenham.
The 2021 Ride and Stride will be held on Saturday, September 11.