Suffolk: Row breaks out after controversial umpire decision

Neal Manning, who was left injured after reportedly being pushed to the ground after a cricket match

Neal Manning, who was left injured after reportedly being pushed to the ground after a cricket match. - Credit: Archant

A row has broken out between two league cricket clubs after an incident took place after a match, resulting in a player being injured.

It has been alleged that Neal Manning, a member of the Ipswich IVs team, was pushed to the ground following a controversial umpire decision during the match between Ipswich IVs and Stradbroke Vikings at Stradbroke on Saturday afternoon.

He suffered grazes to his arm, leg and shoulder. The matter has been reported to the Marshall Hatchick Two Counties Cricket Championship Division Eight league, which is investigating it.

A spokeswoman for the league said: “I can confirm that an initial report has been submitted to the league. However neither the chairman or the disciplinary committee chairman have been available to study the report.

“However it is normal procedure that once a report is received both clubs involved have seven days to submit a full report to the league and the disciplinary committee will then make a judgement on any further action that may be required if the action taken by the clubs is not satisfactory.”

Mr Manning, 70, from Kesgrave, who was both a player and an umpire during the game, said: “I gave the decision ‘not out’ and they [Stradbroke Vikings] were convinced it was out.”

He claimed there were remarks made about him being a “cheating umpire” and words were exchanged after the game, which eventually led to Mr Manning being reportedly pushed over.

Most Read

He said: “I have been playing club cricket for 50 years and this has never happened to me.

“Things are said on the field but once you get to the bar, everything is usually forgotten about. I got off lightly. I could have got a head injury.”

Captain of Stradbroke Vikings, Richard Pierce-Saunderson, said: “As far as I’m concerned both clubs have investigated the matter and the issue has been resolved.”

Ipswich IVs who won the match in the end, refused to comment due to the league’s investigation.