Suffolk: Sharing the hidden gems that Suffolk has to offer us
- Credit: Archant
Where are the best things to do in Suffolk?
Is a walk around the atmospheric and horticulturally distinguished Fullers Mill Garden on your list? Both John Weeks and Sally Fletcher recommended the gardens, in West Stow, near Bury St Edmunds, when we asked for your recommendations.
Ms Fletcher said: “It is one of those places that if you didn’t know it was meant to be there, you could easily drive straight past and miss out.”
While Mr Weeks said: “Developed over 50 years by plantsman Bernard Tickner, the garden is an atmospheric and horticulturally distinguished woodland garden on the banks of the River Lark.”
Last month, we launched the ’50 Things To Do In Suffolk’ campaign with Mark Murphy, of BBC Radio Suffolk, and more than 50 readers have shared their suggestions via our website.
Other suggestions include a “rhythm-packed trip to Ipswich Music Day” and a “trip down the Orwell on an historic barge or the Orwell lady, looking at the peregrine falcons”.
You may also want to watch:
Lyndon Barrettt-Scott suggested Heveningham Hall firework display and said: “An amazing night out with lots to do and a great selection of food. Very well organised and beautiful fireworks.”
Further east, James Hartley recommends canoeing on the River Waveney. “Beautiful, unspoilt and contrasting scenary with fabulous wildlife, interspersed with historic towns and churches and the odd pub.”
- 1 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 2 Ipswich Town reveal full retained list as six first-teamers get extended stays and eight depart
- 3 Town take up contract options on duo with plenty of departures still expected
- 4 Town confirm four more exits at end of season
- 5 Armed police box in cars on A12 after men seen 'fighting with swords'
- 6 Search for man after girl, 10, accosted at B&M store in Stowmarket
- 7 Exit Interview: Farewell to Ipswich Town's most iconic player of the last decade
- 8 Suffolk estate which featured on TV show on the market for £1.25m
- 9 Chambers and Skuse to leave Ipswich Town
- 10 'The honour of my life' - Chambers' message to Town fans after departure confirmed
Unsurpisingly, the majority of ideas revolved around Suffolk’s glorious coastline, it’s rich agricultural heritage and the many green spots around the county. But Kevin Hubbard threw us a curve ball and suggested the charity shops of Stowmarket.
“There are so many, and so varied, within a short distance of each other making bargain hunting very easy without having to walk too far.”
Suffolk-born Al Simpson, who now lives in Canada, described his home town of Felixstowe as “the best place on earth”.
“Landguard Fort is full of history, it is where my grandfather served during the Second World War as part of the homeguard.”