Suffolk soldier killed in Afghanistan
TRIBUTES have poured in for a “hugely popular” Suffolk soldier killed in an explosion in Afghanistan.
Acting corporal David Barnsdale, from 33 Engineer Regiment (Explosive Ordnance Disposal), died on Tuesday in northern Helmand province.
The 24-year-old, who was serving with the Counter-Improvised Explosive Device Task Force, was based at Rock Barracks, Woodbridge.
Cpl David Barnsdale, of Tring, Hertfordshire, was killed by an Improvised Explosive Device (IED) while working on the construction of a new security check point.
He is the seventh Suffolk serviceman – and the 341st in the UK – to have been killed in the conflict since 2001.
You may also want to watch:
In a statement, his family said: “David was a hugely popular guy, a fantastic son, grandson, brother, boyfriend and friend, who will be sorely missed.”
Lieutenant Colonel Mark Davis, commanding officer of Counter-IED, said: “Acting Corporal David Barnsdale, Dave to his friends, was a young, bright and incredibly likeable team leader.
- 1 WATCH: 'Selfish' drug-driver ploughs into police detective's vehicle
- 2 QPR trigger buy-out clause to sign Dozzell for £1m
- 3 First look at £10m Sudbury garden centre revamp
- 4 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 5 Body of man, 22, found in River Orwell
- 6 Mum of 'beautiful' Lily calls for young people to have their hearts tested
- 7 'I'll always have love for Ipswich, but it was time to move on' - Dozzell signs for QPR
- 8 265 new homes set to be built off A14 at Stowmarket
- 9 Former Town assistant Taylor back in football
- 10 Forward Sears completes Colchester return
“He embodied the finest traditions of a soldier, constantly displaying bucket loads of grit and determination; he was utterly professional but always with a dash of humility.”
Lieutenant Colonel Simon Bell, commanding officer of 33 Engineer Regiment (Explosive Ordnance Disposal), said he had “boundless potential and the steely understated determination of a man you know you can rely on in difficult times”.
He added: “My overwhelming memory of acting corporal Barnsdale will be his irrepressible enthusiasm and no nonsense approach.”
The 33 Engineer Regiment is mainly based in Wimbish, Essex, but its newest sub-unit, 61 Field Squadron (EOD), is located at Rock Barracks.