Suffolk star Ed Sheeran receives MBE from the Prince of Wales
- Credit: PA
Suffolk star Ed Sheeran has been awarded with an MBE by the Prince of Wales this afternoon.
The Shape of You singer received the honour during a Buckingham Palace investiture ceremony today.
The 26-year-old, who grew up in Framlingham and went to Thomas Mills High School, received the award for his music career and his charity work.
To name a few of his musical achievements, Ed won a Grammy Award last year and his latest album spent more than 15 weeks at the top of the charts.
The global superstar has also worked with a range of charities including East Anglia’s Children’s Hospices - an organisation he supports as an ambassador and has the Duchess of Cambridge as its royal patron.
You may also want to watch:
After receiving his MBE the star was quizzed on whether he would be willing to play the first song at Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s wedding reception.
The singer-songwriter said he had not been asked by the prince and his fiancée to perform but revealed he would be willing to if he was asked.
- 1 7 pretty villages in Suffolk
- 2 Machinery to be sold following the loss of 'passionate' farmer
- 3 How bride paid £1 for vintage wedding dress
- 4 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 5 Popular Southwold fish and chip shop for sale for £850k
- 6 Incredible aerial photos show scale of Latitude Festival
- 7 How the Ipswich Town players performed in their friendly clash with Crystal Palace
- 8 Andy Angles: Five observations following Town's clash with Crystal Palace
- 9 Mapped: Check the Covid rate in your Suffolk neighbourhood
- 10 'It's gone crazy' - Boss of Town's promotion rivals on League One spending
Ed, who has enjoyed phenomenal worldwide success, spoke about his grandfather Bill Sheeran after the ceremony.
He said: “Do you know what I love, my grandfather was a massive royalist, he had all the commemorative plates and stuff, and he died on this day four years ago, so it’s actually quite a nice full circle thing, I guess he’d be pretty proud.”
From sleeping rough outside Buckingham Palace to receiving a MBE from the Prince of Wales inside the Palace the Castle on the Hill singer has come a long way.