'It was awesome' - Raducanu US open win inspires students
- Credit: Abbeygate Sixth Form College/PA Images
Teenage students from Abbeygate Sixth Form College in Bury St Edmunds are celebrating the "amazing" US Open victory of 18-year-old Emma Raducanu.
Raducanu, 18, progressed through the qualifying rounds to reach the final at Flushing Meadows, winning against Canadian teenager Leylah Fernandez on Saturday evening.
Freja Howlett, 17, from Ipswich is studying her A Levels at the college on Beetons Way, and has been enjoying reading about Raducanu's historic win in the media.
She said: "I was reading a national newspaper recently and there was four pages of stories on male sports - and in the tiny corner of the paper there was a small bit about women’s football.
“Therefore for me, it’s great that people are talking about it so much – that to me is inspirational.”
You may also want to watch:
Tennis player, and A-Level student James Ireland, 17, from Bury St Edmunds said: "It was awesome watching her, I was shouting at the TV. I play tennis myself so I'm a big fan.
"Not only is she a good tennis player, she is academic and she has passed her driving test, she inspires me greatly, not only to get better at tennis but also to do well with academic stuff."
- 1 Three East Anglian curry houses make final of English Curry Awards
- 2 'It was horrific': Grandmother stuck abroad after 40ft castle fall
- 3 Five star cat hotel opens near Bury St Edmunds
- 4 Daylight dogging makes beauty spot 'no-go area'
- 5 Towering views for royal on visit to see completed £4m Suffolk project
- 6 'We have the quality to go on and win this league' - Burns calls upon fans to keep the faith
- 7 Two people rescued in four vehicle crash on A14
- 8 Ed Sheeran hints at new tour dates and reveals favourite Suffolk beer
- 9 Mike Bacon: Oh, what have we done to deserve this?
- 10 'Keep the faith' - Town fans on poor start and what needs to change
Seventeen-year-old April Adah also lives in Bury and studies at the college. She said: “Emma Raducanu has done so much at such a young age so it is inspiring. It’s amazing what some people have already achieved by the same age as my friends and I.”