Swimming club gets new kit thanks to power company grant
- Credit: Archant
Youngsters at a Mildenhall swimming club will now be decked out in new kit following a donation from UK Power Networks.
The company, which supplies electricity to homes across East Anglia, London and the south-east, has given Mildenhall Sharks a much-needed £250 grant as part of its Team Sport Award scheme.
The money was donated through UK Power Networks employee Graeme Cooper whose two children Jodie, 12, and Dillon, 11, are club members.
The club will benefit from a major development planned for Mildenhall after a funding grant from Sport England to develop a new pool in the town for competitive swimming by 2020.
Mr Cooper said: “The club is all about encouraging youngsters to do well with their swimming and having what the level they have reached reflected on their kit is an important way to mark what they have done in the pool.
You may also want to watch:
“We are really excited for the future of the pool following the lottery funding which will mean we can host our own galas.
“At the moment the pool is too small to do that which is why another part of this money from UK Power Networks will go towards some of our travel costs.
- 1 Emotional moment as family decides to cease farming in-hand
- 2 'We'll see how we go' - QPR boss Warburton on Bonne recall option
- 3 Suspected drink driver flees scene after car destroyed in crash
- 4 Couple fear they will never sell home after A12 upgrade outside
- 5 Man arrested after car crashes into supermarket sign
- 6 Suffolk man guilty of raping schoolgirl and facing jail sentence
- 8 Ipswich Town players' FIFA 22 ratings revealed
- 9 Exhausted farmers cool off the combines after gruelling harvest
- 10 Man airlifted to hospital after suffering serious leg injuries in crash
“Both my children learned to swim at Mildenhall and now they are enjoying taking part in more competitive swimming with the Sharks.”
The Team Sport Award scheme is designed to encourage staff to volunteer in the community and is aimed at promoting healthy living, teamwork and development of sporting opportunities.
Hundreds of community and sports groups have benefited from grants since the scheme was set up. Last year £15,750 was donated to sporting groups connected to UK Power Networks staff.