Suffolk: Teen locked up for stabbing father more than 30 times

A SUFFOLK teenager who stabbed his father more than 30 times during a row has been locked up for four years.

Daryl Trevers, 19, inflicted the wounds with two knives at the family home in Stow Road, Ixworth, near Bury St Edmunds.

A paramedic who attended the scene said he had never seen so much blood in all his years in the ambulance service.

Maxwell Trevers, 41, suffered wounds to his back, shoulder, arms, legs, neck, torso and face and had so many injuries that paramedics ran out of bandages, said Michael Crimp, prosecuting.

Mr Trevers senior was rushed to Addenbrooke’s Hospital in Cambridge and underwent surgery to have the wounds – which were not life-threatening – cleaned, explored and closed. He spent a week in hospital and declined to make a statement about the incident to police.

You may also want to watch:

Daryl Trevers, who was 18 at the time of the incident on March 3, admitted wounding his father with intent to cause him grievous bodily harm.

Sentencing him to four years detention in a young offenders’ institution, less the 291 days he has already spent in custody, Judge John Devaux said he had attacked his father after a row about a printer and described the attack as “prolonged”.

Most Read

He said although he did not consider him to be a serious risk to the public he did regard him as presenting a serious risk to his father if they were ever to live in the same house or village.

With that in mind Judge Devaux made a restraining order banning Trevers from contacting his father or going within two miles of his home in Ixworth.

He said if his relationship with his father was transformed in the future the order could be varied.

Mr Crimp told the court that paramedics and police went to the family home in Ixworth after receiving a call from Trevers who said he had stabbed his father.

The police firearms team was also in attendance and when a police officer rang Trevers on his mobile phone he said he had stabbed his father because he had beaten up his mother and was physically abusive, although Mr Crimp said this was not accepted by the prosecution.

Trevers had told police that if his father came after him he would do the same thing again and also said “I’ve been putting up with the same s*** all my life. It wasn’t out of fear, I’d just had enough.”

Julian Christopher, for Trevers, said his client’s mother now lived in Bury St Edmunds and there was no reason for Trevers to go to Ixworth to see his father.

He said Trevers’ initial lack of remorse for what he had done had changed and he had written to his father saying he hoped he was all right and that he wanted to see him.

He said Trevers was not suffering from a mental disorder that needed hospital treatment but had been taking anti-psychotic medicine which had a positive effect on him.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus