Suffolk: Trust president and charity bike ride founder dies
- Credit: Archant
AN MBE recipient who helped pioneer a thriving annual fundraising event had died aged 85.
Frances Parkinson was president and former chairman of the Suffolk Historic Churches Trust (SHCT), and co-founder of the annual Historic Churches Sponsored Bike Ride.
Mrs Parkinson was on the Board of Trustees when the Suffolk bike ride began, and chaired the national bike ride group when the success of the local event led to interest from other counties.
Established with Judith Foord and Julia Henniker, the first ride took place in September 1982 and raised £58,110. In the last 30 years the fundraising total has reached almost £4m.
Trustee, Diana Hunt said: “Each bike ride day, Frances and her fellow church warden welcomed visitors to their church at Hoo in Suffolk. They manned the church for eight hours each bike ride day for the next 26 years until failing health forced Frances to take a less active part.
You may also want to watch:
“Frances believed in partnership and the personal touch. She led the Trust with enthusiasm and set herself a very high standard which she expected those about her to emulate. Her contribution has been huge and anyone who loves and appreciates the magnificent churches of Suffolk will be sad at her passing but eternally grateful for her tireless commitment to the Trust.”
Today, a total of 32 counties hold a Historic Churches Trust Sponsored Bike Ride on the same day each year - an achievement for which Mrs Parkinson was awarded the MBE.
- 1 Man in 20s dies in collision between lorry and pedestrian on A14
- 2 Suffolk estate which featured on TV show on the market for £1.25m
- 3 Ipswich Town transfer rumours: Blues linked with goalkeeper and coaching move for former loanee
- 4 Car on its side in middle of roundabout after crash outside Haverhill Tesco
- 5 Van's roof torn off as it gets stuck under Suffolk bridge
- 6 'Next season we'll have a right go' - Roberts on Fleetwood win and Chambers' future
- 7 Matchday Recap: Lightning start for Town secures Fleetwood win
- 8 'Masterpiece' modernist home with panoramic sea views for sale for £850,000
- 9 Biker breaks collarbone in swerve to avoid car on wrong side of road
- 10 Joy as council reverses ban on motorhomes in car parks
In 2012, more than £155,000 was raised by cyclists and walkers on the Suffolk Historic Churches Bike Ride. The 2013 Bike Ride will be on Saturday, September 14. This year marks the 40th anniversary of the Suffolk Historic Churches Trust (SHCT).