Suffolk: Village records UK’s highest temperature this year
Temperatures are set to continue to soar today following the hottest day of the year yesterday, in which Cavendish, near Sudbury, recorded a high of 32.4C (90.32F).
Most of the UK enjoyed temperatures in the high 20s on Saturday, but the heat in Cavendish eclipsed the previous 2012 high of 31.4C (88.5F) recorded at London’s Olympic Park on July 25.
Much of East Anglia and the South East saw the hottest temperatures with Charsfield, near Woodbridge, basking in 31.4C and Santon Downham, recording temperatures of 31.3C (88.5F).
And the baking heat looks set to continue today.
Yesterday’s sweltering conditions saw thousands packing out seaside towns and an increase in sales of barbecue foods and drinks as sun lovers enjoyed the Mediterranean conditions.
You may also want to watch:
Music lovers also enjoyed the warm conditions at the V Festival Hylands Park in Chelmsford, and Weston Park, Staffordshire.
Much of the UK was hotter than popular European holiday destinations such as Lanzarote in the Canary Islands, where tourists enjoyed top temperatures of 29.8C (85.64F).
- 1 Cook proud of players after Town hold on for elusive first win
- 2 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich's 1-0 win at Lincoln
- 3 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 1-0 Lincoln win
- 4 Watch Town CEO Ashton wildly celebrate Lincoln win with Town fans
- 5 Suffolk to miss worst of thunderstorms - but heavy downpours still expected
- 6 Gangs of 'lampers' use spotlights to distract animals and kill them
- 7 See inside stunning £2m Woodbridge home with 'fantastic leisure complex'
- 8 Five cars and a horsebox involved in crash near RAF base
- 9 Lincoln City 0-1 Ipswich Town: Bonne does the business as Blues earn first win
- 10 Concerns as 12 Suffolk landfill sites could contain 'hazardous material'
The Caribbean islands are currently experiencing temperatures of between 30C (86F) and 32C (89.6F).
Large parts of Europe were savouring the weather too but it was remarkably hot in parts of France and Italy, with Paris experiencing highs of almost 39C (102.2F) and Florence 38C (100.4F).