War veteran celebrates 100th birthday
- Credit: Archant
A war veteran from Brettenham, who was among the soldiers evacuated from the beaches of Dunkirk, has celebrated his 100th birthday.
George Emmett marked the big day just two days before Christmas with a party at Hitcham Village Hall.
Mr Emmett, who has two daughters, Gloria and Carol, four grandchildren and eight great grandchildren, was born in London but moved to Bradfield St George when he was a youngster to escape the smog of the capital.
He joined the Royal Artillery and was among those evacuated from Dunkirk before later serving as a Desert Rat in North Africa.
"He also served in Sicily and Italy," said his daughter Gloria.
You may also want to watch:
"In fact he was in the first tank off the boat at Sicily."
Following the war he became a farm hand, working up until he was 70.
- 1 Forensic teams at Woodbridge house after 'incident'
- 2 First pictures: Which Suffolk pubs are preparing to reopen on April 12?
- 3 Matchday Recap: Goalless again in first game of a new era at Town
- 4 Murder suspect arrested after woman found dead at country park
- 5 Driver goes to court over speed camera calibration dispute
- 6 Tudor farmhouse with separate annexe is again for sale for £1.275m
- 7 Town's country park remains closed after woman's body discovered
- 8 Plans for 170 homes in village outside of Ipswich
- 9 Managing director of popular zoos steps down after 28 years
- 10 'It was a surprise for a lot of us... but these are exciting times' - Gill on takeover
Mayor of Stowmarket Paul Ekpenyong was among the guests at his birthday bash last week.