Suffolk: When our Katie Piper met...Katie Piper
- Credit: Archant
An Easton and Otley College student has won a national student of the year award – and got to meet her famous namesake in the process!
Katie Piper from Easton and Otley College has received an Outstanding Land Based BTEC Student of the Year at the National BTEC Awards, held in London.
The ceremony was held in recognition of the nearly one million students around the country who are studying BTEC qualifications this year. Pearson, who own Edexcel, the awarding body for BTECs, received over 1000 nominations across the 20 award categories for this year’s Awards.
Now in their fourth year, the Awards were hosted by DJ and presenter Jameela Jamil, at the Royal Horticultural Halls in London. The attendees (who included the winning students, teachers, and leaders in education) also heard a talk by philanthropist and presenter, Katie Piper.
Award winner (and Easton and Otley College animal student) Katie Piper, from Sprowston said, “I am thrilled to win this award. I’ve just finished my BTEC course so this is a superb way to end my time at the college. “I’ve been offered two places to go to vet school after my studies at Easton and Otley – so I’m really looking forward to the future. To win national acclaim like this is the icing on the cake after two great years at a college that I am proud to be associated with.”
You may also want to watch:
Philanthropist and presenter, Katie Piper, said: “It’s great to be part of something that praises and celebrates young people for their achievements. It was also great to meet my namesake Katie Piper and congratulate her on her award.”
Easton and Otley College spokesperson, John Nice, said, “Katie has been an exemplary student and her future looks very bright. She has brought so much to the college life – particularly in her role supporting her fellow students – and we are incredibly proud that she has been given this national acclaim. Great credit must also go to all of her tutors who have supported Katie throughout her journey with the college.”
- 1 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 2 Ipswich Town reveal full retained list as six first-teamers get extended stays and eight depart
- 3 Town confirm four more exits at end of season
- 4 Town take up contract options on duo with plenty of departures still expected
- 5 Armed police box in cars on A12 after men seen 'fighting with swords'
- 6 Search for man after girl, 10, accosted at B&M store in Stowmarket
- 7 Exit Interview: Farewell to Ipswich Town's most iconic player of the last decade
- 8 'The honour of my life' - Chambers' message to Town fans after departure confirmed
- 9 Suffolk estate which featured on TV show on the market for £1.25m
- 10 Town remain in talks with Edwards over new deal