Suffolk: Why Humperdinck and Hendrix topped the bill
JIMI Hendrix made the headlines again yesterday after members of social news and entertainment started discussing a story from the East Anglian Daily Times.
The article, published in October 2011, featured an interview with Englebert Humperdinck.
Written by entertainment reporter Wayne Savage, the story centred around the fact Humperdinck said he made Jimi Hendrix play guitar for him behind a curtain.
The story was posted to Reddit’s “Today I Learned” Reddit and as a result more than 22,000 people have come to the EADT site to read the original story, making it one of our most popular stories of the past year.
Reddit is a social news site where users can submit either text or links. Other users can then either move the post up the page with an “upvote” if they liked the post or move the stories down the page with a “downvote” if they disliked the post.
Today I Learned, or TIL for short, is a place where the community of Reddit can submit interesting facts they have learned on the internet today.
Discussing the story, Reddit member Trentlott said: “He was almost on a Gorillaz album:
- 1 Town reject bid for midfielder Fraser but no Matete move
- 2 Glamping pods and shepherd huts proposed in holiday site expansion
- 3 Suffolk entrepreneur Mike Lynch loses $5bn fraud case with Hewlett Packard
- 4 Look inside 'immaculately presented' property with own bar and heated pool
- 5 Ed Sheeran pays the most tax of any celebrity in the UK
- 6 Popular Sudbury bakery reveals aim to save town's post office
- 7 46-year-old man who died in Great Bealings crash named
- 8 West Suffolk road closed after car crashes into ditch
- 9 'It is really sad': End of an era as popular pub landlords call time
- 10 Traffic restrictions in town centre to be made permanent
“During the recording of the Gorillaz album Plastic Beach, Humperdinck was asked by Damon Albarn to perform on a selection. However, after listening to the proposed selection, his manager declined the offer without Humperdinck knowing. Humperdinck later stated in an interview that his manager declining the collaboration offer was, “the most grievous sin ever committed,” and that he would have gladly collaborated with the Gorillaz if he had known they asked.”
Adding their thoughts, snufflesaur said: “An interesting story: The Beatles released Sgt. Pepper’s on June, 1 1967. 3 days later Hendrix performed a live cover of Sgt Pepper’s (the song) and he was unaware that the Beatles were in the audience. They were blown away.”
While bedazio said: “Jimi cut his teeth on the “Chitlin Circuit” and knew hundreds of popular tunes. Best guitarist ever. A musical genius: “someone who can imagine something on their instrument and their hands just make it happen without getting in the way”. Jimi Hendrix - musical genius.
Click on the link top right to read the story.
What was your favourite EADT story? Are there other archive stories that have caught your eye? Share your views here.