Foundation stone from bacon factory at new development in Elmswell
- Credit: Angela Sharpe Photography
An original foundation stone from the St Edmunds Bacon Factory, in Elmswell, has been located at the entrance to a new homes development in the village.
Taylor Wimpey East Anglia has unveiled a commemorative display from 1911 at its Kingsbrook Place site to celebrate the heritage of the area.
Hundreds of local Elmswell residents were employed at the factory, until its closure in 1996.
Representatives from Elmswell Parish Council including parish clerk Peter Dow, council chairman Fred Pallett and councillors Mike Friend, Peter Edmonds, Julia Taber, Chris Wiley, David Hawes, David Barker and Dick Burch, attended the unveiling at the site off Station Road.
Mr Pallett, said: “We’d like to thank Taylor Wimpey on behalf of the community for celebrating the heritage of the local area. It’s great to see that St Edmunds Bacon Factory has been commemorated, as it was an important part of the Elmswell community and is still remembered fondly by many.”
Caroline Carter, sales and marketing director for Taylor Wimpey East Anglia, added: “Our Kingsbrook Place development will always be tied to St Edmunds Bacon Factory so we’re delighted to celebrate the role that the factory once played in the Elmswell community.
“We’re proud to have placed an original foundation stone from the factory at the front of the development so that new and existing residents can learn about the history of the community in which they live.”
- 1 Matchday Recap: McGreal's Town beaten at The Valley
- 2 Trio jailed as travellers' site shooting described as 'like a movie scene'
- 3 First case of Omicron confirmed in Suffolk with 16 more suspected
- 4 Karaoke noise complaints prompts fear Grade II pub could close
- 5 Pub transformed into 'breathtaking' family home for sale for almost £1m
- 6 Fallen trees block Suffolk roads as Storm Barra batters region
- 7 'Selection is down to the manager' - Town CEO Ashton on Norwood's absence
- 8 Charlton boss Jackson on Bonne's 'point to prove', Addicks' interest in Pigott and Cook's sacking
- 9 Battle of the caretakers, good omens and McGreal's possible rejig... Charlton v Ipswich
- 10 Flood alerts issued for Suffolk ahead of Storm Barra's arrival