Trial date set for teacher accused of sex assaults
- Credit: ARCHANT
A teacher who has denied five sexual offences against children will face a trial later this year.
Brahmo Chellakootty appeared at Ipswich Crown Court on Thursday and pleaded not guilty to three sexual assaults on girls, assaulting a girl aged under 13 by touching and inciting a girl aged under 13 into sexual activity.
The alleged offences are said to have taken place while Chellakooty was working at a school in the Colchester area.
During the short hearing, Chellakootty, 62, of Burdett Avenue, Westcliff-on-Sea, spoke only to confirm his name and enter his pleas.
The Ipswich Crown Court trial, which is expected to last five to six days, will begin on September 7.
You may also want to watch:
Judge Emma Peters told Chellakootty to keep in regular contact with his legal team ahead of his trial in September.
Chellakootty, who was represented in court by barrister Paul Donovan, was released on conditional bail.
- 1 Boy, 5, dies after suffering serious head injury at department store
- 2 Woman in 20s dies in single car crash on A12 in Suffolk
- 3 Edmundson ruled out of opener as Cook discusses 'four, five or six' more transfers
- 4 Swimmers report sickness symptoms after dip in Suffolk river
- 5 Suffolk enjoys warehousing boom as more businesses flock to region
- 6 Suffolk pub reopens with exclusive Champagne carvery
- 7 Why Ipswich Town's American owners won't be making first visit for Morecambe clash
- 8 The Town players who have improved their stock in pre-season
- 9 Container ship that blocked Suez Canal due to arrive in Felixstowe
- 10 WATCH: Ever Given docks at Felixstowe after four-month delay